Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I'm thinking that a person who would get into that situation is in need of some kind of help.
    Yeah, A kick in the ass. I'm sorry, but morbidly obese is something a person does to themself. If I take a hacksaw and cut off my right arm, should I get help?
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    Yeah, A kick in the ass. I'm sorry, but morbidly obese is something a person does to themself. If I take a hacksaw and cut off my right arm, should I get help?
    For the most part, you are right, but there are the occasional cases where the person really does have a medical condition that causes morbid obesity. Rare, but real.

I had a coworker a while back who weighed 500 lbs. I just assumed she had to have some kind of medical condition to weigh that much. I said as much to another coworker, who had known the woman in question longer and better than I had. She said "It's no mystery if you ever watched her eat lunch". I found out that she ate deep-fried food for every meal, she was in her 40s and still lived at her mother's house, as did her brother. She, her brother and her mother were all morbidly obese. She went home for lunch most days, to eat with her mother and brother.

There are some serious underlying psychological and family issues behind her weight, but no medical condition. She retired early with disability, but I'll bet by now she's got diabetes and heart disease.