Thread: 'There's Been an Assassination Attempt On Your Father'

1. #1 'There's Been an Assassination Attempt On Your Father' 
    Thirty years ago, on March 30, 1981, my father, Ronald Reagan, went to the Washington Hilton to address the AFL-CIO. After the speech, he left the Hilton by the VIP exit, surrounded by aides and Secret Service agents. A small crowd lined the sidewalkóincluding one disturbed young man, John W. Hinckley, Jr. As my father waved, Hinckley pulled a revolver and fired six shots in 1.7 seconds.

Hinckley's aim was pooróbut devastating. He hit press secretary James Brady, policeman Thomas Delahanty, and agent Timothy McCarthy. One bullet hit the armored flank of the limousine, ricocheted, and entered beneath my father's raised left arm. It stopped in his lung just an inch short of his heart.

Secret Service agent Jerry Parr shoved Dad into the limo, and the car sped away. When Parr saw the president coughing up blood, he ordered the driver to divert to George Washington University Hospital. Parr's decision saved my father's life.

Arriving at the hospital, Dad got out of the limo and walked into the building under his own power. Just inside the door, his knees buckled. "I can't breathe," he said. Agent Parr and the hospital staff helped him into the emergency room.
    While the doctors and nurses worked on my father, he remained calm and unfailingly courteous. "I don't mean to trouble you," he said at one point, "but I'm having a hard time breathing."

Nancy entered the hospital less than ten minutes after Dad arrived. The doctors let Nancy come close, believing her presence would reassure him. Nancy later recalled that Dad looked ashen, and his lips were caked with blood. But he put her at ease by joking, "Honey, I forgot to duck."

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2011/...er/?test=faces
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

The big Cheese
    The best president we have ever had IMO
    One does not greet death when he knocks at your door.

Nay you repeatedly punch him in the throat as he slowly drags you away.

Quote Originally Posted by Zafod View Post
    And definitely an example of grace under fire.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

What a great piece. He was a class act.

Banned
    In Florda. Out smacking around Useful Idiots
    Rawhide (RR's Secret Service codename) was too tough to be taken down by just 1 delusional punk.

Tough guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Zafod View Post
    I second that one !He had more manhood,humor and courage in his little finger that any of the others except for George Washington and of course Thomas Jefferson !

I remember watching that. I was a sophomore in high school at the time and I remember watching the news broadcast of it and at one time, the anchor on ABC at the time, the late Frank Reynolds, announced that Brady had died. A minute or so later, he was told that that wasn't true and he got pissed on camera. It was surreal. And not to make a joke of this but SNL's parody with Buckwheat getting shot was classic.
    "Inequality is a false notion propagated by those who are made to feel guilty for what they have by those who are jealous for what they don't"-Former MTV Host Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    I remember watching that. I was a sophomore in high school at the time and I remember watching the news broadcast of it and at one time, the anchor on ABC at the time, the late Frank Reynolds, announced that Brady had died. A minute or so later, he was told that that wasn't true and he got pissed on camera. It was surreal. And not to make a joke of this but SNL's parody with Buckwheat getting shot was classic.

I remember Frank Reynolds stating that the President was dead.

The Buckwheat series of sketches was hilarious. I remember my mom laughing with us, and saying that if she were Nancy Reagan or Jackie O, she probably wouldn't be laughing at it.