Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    There is too much emphasis on self esteem. We are teaching people to find worth in what other people think of them. So when the fat kid gets picked on because he's fat - he internalizes that he is worthless because of the opinions that other people have about him. I'm not now nor have I ever been a fan of self esteem.
    There should be more emphasis placed on self esteem. As a teacher, you have to be bullshiting me. Kids need to be told that they are okay and ecourage them to have confidence in themselves and their abilities.

BTW, what would you tell a fat kid that was getting picked on all the time. I would tell him to take a self defense course at the YMCA. The next kid that picks on you, beat his ass, and that would give the fat kid confidence and much self esteem. In the process, he might lose weight. Let me hear your solution.

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    There should be more emphasis placed on self esteem. As a teacher, you have to be bullshiting me. Kids need to be told that they are okay and ecourage them to have confidence in themselves and their abilities.

BTW, what would you tell a fat kid that was getting picked on all the time. I would tell him to take a self defense course at the YMCA. The next kid that picks on you, beat his ass, and that would give the fat kid confidence and much self esteem. In the process, he might lose weight. Let me hear your solution.
    You've bought a lie. The focus on self esteem has been one of the very WORST things the schools have done to our kids. There is a HUGE difference between self confidence/self worth and self esteem. Self esteem is centered on how you perceive that others view you. As a result - kids feel that they cannot ever make a mistake - they cannot ever mess up - and if they do - they have no concept of how to deal with it. What school should focus on is achievement which will build real self worth. The kids will know - I CAN DO THIS. Then they will have real self worth.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar

nah, there should be less emphasis on the BS PC shit that don't let kids deal with winning and losing

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    my National Gov teacher tries to teach critical thinking, everyone bitches about it
    Because they don't want to think - they have been trained to be sheep. Thinking is challenging and they don't know how to deal with the possibility that they might fail.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

If you ask me - it's time for people to grow some thicker skin.
    It sounds like the kid's skin is too thick already. If he'd dropped a few pounds and done his homework, we wouldn't be having this thread. It sounds like a case of Litigious Idiot Making Problems And Seeking Sympathy Syndrome, or LIMPASS Syndrome.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Because they don't want to think - they have been trained to be sheep. Thinking is challenging and they don't know how to deal with the possibility that they might fail.
    yeah, pretty much, we have to do 3 mini-critiques and all the tests are essay but giving our opinion on the topic using critical thinking skills to answer the questions

Banned
    You've bought a lie. The focus on self esteem has been one of the very WORST things the schools have done to our kids. There is a HUGE difference between self confidence/self worth and self esteem. Self esteem is centered on how you perceive that others view you. As a result - kids feel that they cannot ever make a mistake - they cannot ever mess up - and if they do - they have no concept of how to deal with it. What school should focus on is achievement which will build real self worth. The kids will know - I CAN DO THIS. Then they will have real self worth.
    Wrong..self (meaning yourself) esteem is centered on how YOU feel about yourself NOT what others think about you. Google "self esteem" and you will find the correct meaning.

You still did not answer my question about what you would tell the fat boy that was getting picked on. What's your advise.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    nah, there should be less emphasis on the BS PC shit that don't let kids deal with winning and losing
    Many poor and black kids have very low esteem. They do not think their life is worth a plug nickel so they go into drugs or crime. What are you going to tell them as a teacher. Huh.

/sigh, Poli is right, Self-confidence from a psychological stand point is MUCH more important than self-esteem, self-esteem grows from self-confidence and self-worth which a person has to earn. There is too much focus on upping one's self-esteem without teaching them how to develop their self-worth and self-confidence. Both of these are developed through success as well as failure. When we don't teach kids how to face failure and success in positive ways and demand that they only know success it warps their perception of life and we have the idiocy that we have today.

Many poor and black kids have very low esteem. They do not think their life is worth a plug nickel so they go into drugs or crime. What are you going to tell them as a teacher. Huh.
    "Don't shoot!" :D
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!