Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    no
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
    no
    Habeas corpus can be suspended for the duration, so it really doesn't matter in practical terms.

Freedom of speech is just that. Freedom of Speech. No one has the right to not get their feelings hurt or hear things they find disgusting. That includes me.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

The only justifiable limit the government can enforce to free speech is when what you say places the lives of others in danger - such as shouting fire in a crowded theatre.
    Last edited by PoliCon; 03-31-2011 at 04:06 PM.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

As long as you are not giving aid and comfort to the enemy, which is the other Constitutional restriction on conduct in wartime, then no.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    The only justifiable limit the government can enforce to free speech is when what you say places the lives of others in danger - such as showing fire in a crowded theatre.
    That would fall under arson, wouldn't it?
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    That would fall under arson, wouldn't it?
    I fixed it. happy now?

Actually, there's nothing illegal about shouting fire in a crowded theater.

If it promotes a riot, it's a case something like disturbing the peace or inciting to riot. IOW, only state or local laws are broken. If someone is trampled to death, it's probably negligent homocide. Again, only state laws are broken.

But it's not illegal just for shouting, and it's certainly not a violation of the US Constitution.

Keep phishing wee wee, and hope everybody keeps their mouth shut when there is a real fire while you're watching the latest Michael Moore flac...er...flick.

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    I fixed it. happy now?
    Somebody's gotta stand in for Linda.

Quote Originally Posted by marv View Post
    Actually, there's nothing illegal about shouting fire in a crowded theater.

If it promotes a riot, it's a case something like disturbing the peace or inciting to riot. IOW, only state or local laws are broken. If someone is trampled to death, it's probably negligent homocide. Again, only state laws are broken.

But it's not illegal just for shouting, and it's certainly not a violation of the US Constitution.

Keep phishing wee wee, and hope everybody keeps their mouth shut when there is a real fire while you're watching the latest Michael Moore flac...er...flick.
    free speech would not protect a man falsely shouting fire in a theater and causing a panic. [...] The question in every case is whether the words used are used in such circumstances and are of such a nature as to create a clear and present danger that they will bring about the substantive evils that Congress has a right to prevent
    Schenck v. United States - Oliver Wendell Holmes