Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Couple Dozen Chickens 
    My next door neighbors decided to keep some chickens this spring. I was figuring 4 or 6 - it's family of four. The guy is clueless on the most basic home repair stuff and the gal is hyper-green (she's a chemist (Yay!) from Romania) and does not have even the most instinctual ability to garden. Whatever, I like them.

On Wednesday I borrowed an egg from them and the guy told me they had their chickens in the basement. I was thinking 4-8 pullets, no biggie. Imagine my surprise when I learned that they have 24-28 pullets in the basement awaiting coop construction.

Yes, they have not even fenced in a section for the clucks.

Mr. Snaps learned this info while shooting the breeze. When the guy was asked how he was going to fox-proof his set-up, he apparently was unaware that foxes and coons dig. Plus we have hawks!

I expect I will be asked to take some of the clucks along about June when the home economics of (chicken feed/egg consumption * work) become more apparent. :D

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    oy....can't believe how dumb some people are when it comes to animal...particularly farm animals

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    oy....can't believe how dumb some people are when it comes to animal...particularly farm animals
    Having been raised around chickens, I was just astonished at the optimism they must have. They have no coop, no safe fenced place, no water, no feeding stations, and no roosts. She also has 2 outdoor cats that certainly have an interest in my wild bird feeding activities. :eek:

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Imagine my surprise when I learned that they have 24-28 pullets in the basement awaiting coop construction.
    That's just nasty. My dad had chickens (and yes a coop) on our land in New Mexico when I was boy, and those are some dirty, filthy, stinky animals. There's no way I'd keep that many inside, even if they were in the basement. You don't want the dust from their dried droppings, dead skin flakes, and all manner of unpleasantness mixing in with your regular air supply. Not to mention the number of ticks and mites and other parasites they must be drawing into the home.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by malloc View Post
    That's just nasty. My dad had chickens (and yes a coop) on our land in New Mexico when I was boy, and those are some dirty, filthy, stinky animals. There's no way I'd keep that many inside, even if they were in the basement. You don't want the dust from their dried droppings, dead skin flakes, and all manner of unpleasantness mixing in with your regular air supply. Not to mention the number of ticks and mites and other parasites they must be drawing into the home.
    I hear you. Keeping some chicks indoors during a cold snap is one thing, keeping a couple of dozen semi-adults inside is something else. Chickens are charming outside in small doses but adults inside are horrifying. The mess is incredible since they can and do fling material over 6 feet. I have no idea how they are being kept (big X pen, small cages, cardboard boxes, etc.).

Mr. Snaps is planning our coop on a slab (to prevent underground incursions) and he's going to wire it for winter light and a small (very small) heat source.

yeah, do you're neighbors have any kids? God I hope not, not with having a bunch of chickens in the house. At lest you are making plans to keep them if they try and dump them on you.

My sister in law got some chickens either last year or the year before. Her husband bitches about it constantly (LOL) he built the coop with a REALLY heavy roof as their access to the chicken, it's one solid piece thats like 6' long, instead of splitting it into 3 sections. they don't have much room to run around either...but he did bury the fence 2-3 feet so at lest they were smart about that.

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    yeah, do you're neighbors have any kids? God I hope not, not with having a bunch of chickens in the house. At lest you are making plans to keep them if they try and dump them on you.

My sister in law got some chickens either last year or the year before. Her husband bitches about it constantly (LOL) he built the coop with a REALLY heavy roof as their access to the chicken, it's one solid piece thats like 6' long, instead of splitting it into 3 sections. they don't have much room to run around either...but he did bury the fence 2-3 feet so at lest they were smart about that.
    They have two boys under 8. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    They have two boys under 8. :D

LOL! You, me, and the bear.

We're going to do bees also and the neighbors have ALSO wanted to get some hives. I was thinking like 2 hives for my property. Now I'm afraid they will set 10 up hives. :p

This from people who seriously couldn't identify rhubarb 3 years ago.

Well, you can say "I told you so" when their boys get the black lung and shingles or whatever the heck those chickens are carrying.

If neighbors like that buy bees, consider moving, or at least keeping an exterminator on-call.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense