Thread: April Fools' Friday

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 April Fools' Friday 
    It's April Fools Day!

TOTD: Best april fools pranks. Have you been pranked wonderfully before? Ever pranked someone real good? Heard of some outstanding prank idea or perhaps have a picture or video of a good prank?

Last year my girlfriend replaced my mouthwash with cheap rum and I stood there like a fool swishing it around wondering why it tasted so awful, looking at the bottle to seeif they put more alcohol in it or something
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.

Best prank ever - Kid I know was doing tutoring as a job while in college paid by the university as a work study program - but the deal was - he did it for grade school kids. So he being a con made arrangements to do the tutoring in the school of which his aunt was principal. He being the good con that he is - was forging her name on his time cards and very seriously padding his hours and actually told a couple of people in our social group about it. SO - one of the girls got her hands on 3 sheets of school letter head and proceeded to write a VERY convincing letter from the dean explaining that he had been caught that he was to report to the dean for a disciplinary hearing and that he was facing expulsion and criminal charges for fraud. He was in tears for two days over this before they let him off the hook.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

It should in the 70s today! Now if the wind would just die down.

TOTD: I was working in a lab and everybody hated the lab director who was a complete prick and he had a fake science degree in public health or something equally worthless. He was in the process of being investigated in-house for HR problems and financial stupidity so he was on the way out and looking for a new gig. He made a big deal out of telling all of us about some walk-through he'd organized for big shots at another company. He called it "information exchange" or something but it was an audition for another job.

We went out and bought about 200 rubber ducks. We filled every sink with water and placed water-filled beakers and vessels all over and put the ducks in them. We put ducks in ovens that weren't being used. Ducks were jammed into flasks. Ducks were floating in the emergency eye wash stations. Ducks were sitting on balances and GC/mass spec equipment. Ducks were everywhere.

He did his walk-through and never mentioned the ducks. These guys he'd invited were just about killing themselves not mentioning the ducks. We were enduring physical damage not mentioning the ducks.

When they left we vanished the ducks off company property. When he blazed back in to yell at us we were like, "What ducks"? He left the next week. :D

While I was working the third shift (10pm - 6am) of a unionized company, we took an old, broken surveillance camera and taped a Hooters button with flashing red eyes to it and placed it high in the shop pointing down to where it looked like it could be an actual working camera if you didn't get too close to it. The first shift that replaced us were the ones with the longest time in (and where the least work occurred). We thought it would be funny for a few minutes.

That night, when we back came in, we found out that it caused a great deal of consternation thoughout the day until someone blew up at the manager in his office where upon, confused, the manager climbed up and took it down.

We were right. It was damn funny. But we were wrong about how long it would take to figure out. Consequently, a lot of work got done that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    While I was working the third shift (10pm - 6am) of a unionized company, we took an old, broken surveillance camera and taped a Hooters button with flashing red eyes to it and placed it high in the shop pointing down to where it looked like it could be an actual working camera if you didn't get too close to it. The first shift that replaced us were the ones with the longest time in (and where the least work occurred). We thought it would be funny for a few minutes.

That night, when we back came in, we found out that it caused a great deal of consternation thoughout the day until someone blew up at the manager in his office where upon, confused, the manager climbed up and took it down.

We were right. It was damn funny. But we were wrong about how long it would take to figure out. Consequently, a lot of work got done that day.
    Too bad they didn't look for the Union Label. :p

Is today April Fools?

No Kidding?

Bumping for potential mayhem.

Sunny, dry and 95°F.

TOTD:

Too many good pranks to recount them all, and I'm sure I've told the stories here on other threads about some of these, but I don't remember them all, so if one is a repeat my apologies.

The annoy-a-tron: I bought one of these off ThinkGeek.com. It's a small device with a little speaker that beeps at high, annoying frequencies and random intervals. Since the frequency is high and the interval is random, you can never pinpoint it's location by sound because you know a beep a coming, you just don't know from where. I hid one of these in my boss's office, who is kind of wound up. In about two hours he was tearing his office apart, just short of tears. He had facilities come in and check the lighting fixtures, the smoke alarms, his computer. It was great.

War Paint: I got dragged into shopping with a girlfriend once. While in the department store I got bored, and that is usually dangerous to those around me. I went to the make-up tester counter and put a different color lipstick or make-up on each finger. While walking through the store I made sure to brush a "smudge" of the girl's face occasionally, or just pinch her cheek a little and tell her she was too cute. By the time we got to the checkout line she looked like she was wearing war paint. She didn't notice until we got into the car and saw herself in the rear view mirror.

Cinnamon Challenge: I bet my daughter 20 bucks that she couldn't swallow a spoonful of cinnamon no matter how hard she tried. She lost, and never paid me dammit!

The great mouse caper: Two of my coworkers sit at a table, facing each other. We don't do cubicles around here, because we like to be able to look up from our workstations and discuss issues, or just yell across the way to the networking, security, or product development departments. Most of my work area is a big common area filled with these tables, with offices for management located around the perimeter of the floor. Well, one of my coworkers hooked up a USB mouse to the docking station of the employee who sits across from him. Very occasionally, one guy would move the move the mouse around while the prankee was working. He would only do this once or twice a week. This drove the prankee insane for quite some time and it took him months to catch on .

Popup craziness: The same employee who pulled the mouse caper was once a target of mine. I coordinated the entire development to send him an IM requesting something all at the same time. This coworker went from happily working, to having a desktop full of popup bubbles all at once, and the notification sound went off like 100 times in a row. The look on his face the second before he figured out what was going on was that of pure terror.

You should lock your workstation: Once, my boss left his workstation unlocked. I sent an email to the VP of E-Commerce in my boss's name asking if our health insurance program covered gambling and sex addiction. Good thing we are all pretty good friends here, because the VP knew immediately that this was a prank, probably perpetrated by me, and played a long for a while before finally cracking up. I do love my job!

Then there all the instances of having a boot PFC fetch me a "prick E-6" from comm, or a hose stretcher from supply. I was never able to successfully pull off having someone search for "headlight fluid" (thank you RvB) though, even PFC's aren't that gullible.

On My To Do List:

Packing peanut illusion: Same boss as the annoy-a-tron. Myself and a few coworkers want to come in early one day to prank my boss's office. His office has a door and two floor to ceiling windows facing the common area. Using cardboard/poster board we should make a box about 3" deep on the inside of these big windows. We then fill the boxed in area between the posterboard and windows with packing peanuts creating the illusion that the entire office space is full of packing peanuts.

Call it juvenile, but I put a lot of time and effort into this stuff.
    Last edited by malloc; 04-01-2011 at 06:09 PM.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense

I've done the packing peanut blizzard to a room mate during college - that was funneh. What you do is you tape plastic wrap over the outside door frame of an inward opening door - make sure it is air tight - but leave a couple of inches at the top open and poor packing peanuts into the space between the plastic wrap and the door - then seal up the top. When they open the door from the inside the door opening sucks the peanuts into the room like a blizzard. :)
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    I've done the packing peanut blizzard to a room mate during college - that was funneh. What you do is you tape plastic wrap over the outside door frame of an inward opening door - make sure it is air tight - but leave a couple of inches at the top open and poor packing peanuts into the space between the plastic wrap and the door - then seal up the top. When they open the door from the inside the door opening sucks the peanuts into the room like a blizzard. :)
    I'm totally going to do that when I box the windows. It will create even more of an illusion that the entire office is full of packing peanuts.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense