Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 '50s nostalgia in the '70s 
    Banned
    A question for some of our older members:

It would seem from a lot of the movies and TV shows released in the early through late 70s that throughout the whole decade there was a big nostalgia for the '50s. For example, movies like American Graffiti, Grease, Rocky Horror Picture Show, TV shows like Happy Days and Laverne & Shirley, even down to music like Crocodile Rock. Do you remember the nostalgia wave being big in the 70s? Was it a big thing even in culture? Or simply a thing in movies?

Quote Originally Posted by CaughtintheMiddle1990 View Post

It would seem from a lot of the movies and TV shows released in the early through late 70s that throughout the whole decade there was a big nostalgia for the '50s. For example, movies like American Graffiti, Grease, Rocky Horror Picture Show, TV shows like Happy Days and Laverne & Shirley, even down to music like Crocodile Rock. Do you remember the nostalgia wave being big in the 70s? Was it a big thing even in culture? Or simply a thing in movies?
    In the 70's we were into the 50's. It was all so retro. Kind of like the kids today who are so fascinated with the 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by CaughtintheMiddle1990 View Post

The people writing screenplays and TV scripts were children of the 50s if they were "young wonders", i.e., experienced their young teen years in the 50s. No real nostalgia, it was just vaguely "ironic" for those people.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    The people writing screenplays and TV scripts were children of the 50s if they were "young wonders", i.e., experienced their young teen years in the 50s. No real nostalgia, it was just vaguely "ironic" for those people.
    Gingersnap,

Were you a teen in the 70's?

Just in movies and TV. American Graffiti spawned Happy Days which spawned Laverne & Shirley as well as Joanie Loves Chachi and, and a lot of people don't remember this, but Mork & Mindy as well. But there wasn't a whole wave of 50's nostalgia in the 70's.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by Melody View Post
    Gingersnap,

Were you a teen in the 70's?
    Even if I was, I'd never admit to it publicly. :p

If you look at 'Happy Days' or 'Laverne & Shirley' or whatever....they aren't nostalgic, they're kind of mean, kind of ironic. The whole point was to depict some nostalgic situation and then make fun of the moral values or to show that people in that era were hypocritical in some (fun) way. I'm not saying the shows were bad or deceptive, the just weren't really celebrating the 50s in a straightforward way. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Just in movies and TV. American Graffiti spawned Happy Days which spawned Laverne & Shirley as well as Joanie Loves Chachi and, and a lot of people don't remember this, but Mork & Mindy as well. But there wasn't a whole wave of 50's nostalgia in the 70's.
    There certainly was! Spawned by American Grafffiti.

We were losing or innocence in the 70's, and we wanted it back. Perhaps , it was just a local phenomenon but we had it all; cruising in 1950-1960 autos, listening to wolfman. . .

I remember having "50s Day" in school every semester, and I'd wear my dad's Cass Tech lettered sweater to school with my mom's reversable Pendleton skirt-they actually matched.

We watched Laverne and Shirley, but my parents hated Happy Days. My mom would say "they weren't such happy days for poor and black people". My dad hated Fonzie and thought he was a bad role model for children.

What's really funny now is that my sister's kids are all nostaligic for the 70s. They love The Brady Bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    What's really funny now is that my sister's kids are all nostalgic for the 70s. They love The Brady Bunch.

If they bring back Disco that would be just fine for me. Those were some happy-feet tunes. I'm tired of all the aggressive sex or suicidal nihilism in pop. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    If they bring back Disco that would be just fine for me. Those were some happy-feet tunes. I'm tired of all the aggressive sex or suicidal nihilism in pop. :(

I've been on a Stevie Wonder kick lately. Songs In The Key Of Life.

I don't like the Bee Gees type of disco, but Gloria Gaynor, Donna Summer and even some of the AM rock from that time is very happy music.