Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    We ran a moderate in 08, how did that work out for you?
    When you run moderates the conservative base stays home. We need a conservative with a charismatic personality.
    Because of several factors. #1, a Republican would have fought an uphill battle no matter who they went up against because of the negative publicity Bush got in later years not to mention the trouncing the GOP got in 2006. #2, the GOP failed to capitalize on the correlation between the bursting of the housing bubble and the Democrats re-take over of the houses of congress. #3, the nomination of Sarah Palin as VP candidate. When she was introduced and did her famous speech at the RNC, McCain actually inched ahead of Obama but then they allowed Palin to speak. I like her, however, with each interview she did, she sounded as stupid as liberals accuse conservatives of being. Granted, those interviews were vastly skewed but she failed to take the bull by the balls and sounded like a yahoo from a backwoods state. In other words, her handlers did not prep her well. #4, the Democrats did a better job of getting out the vote gaining not only a near unanimous black vote, but gained a bigger pie of women and first time voters(Bush actually got more of the first time voters in 2004, backfiring the Democrats on this), and the Hispanic vote. #5, McCain didn't do enough of a good job of distancing himself from Bush. I could go on but I believe my point is made.

In 1980, the reason why Reagan won as convincingly as he did was because Carter had so screwed things up, people had no choice to vote for Reagan. And the Iranian hostage crisis was just a final nail in the coffin. What the GOP needs to do this time around is play up Obama's failed promises:

Gitmo-Still open
    Afghanistan-Still going on
    Iraq-We're still there
    Healthcare-Turning into a nightmare for Obama
    Cap & Trade-dead in the water
    Economy-Been as stagnate as a mud puddle and jobs aren't getting any better.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    Updated the list, added some who are now official, and removed many who have said they won't now.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    http://www.hermancain.com/

Herman Cain's website

Put me down as Running.

I'll be announcing my candidacy soon from the "Rent is too damn high" party.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Here's the thing. Do you stand on principle or do you pick a candidate that actually has a chance at winning?
    Principle.

i'm not going to vote for someone just because the "other team" has scared me enough.

fuck party identification, that's for people who can't think for themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    We ran a moderate in 08, how did that work out for you?
    When you run moderates the conservative base stays home. We need a conservative with a charismatic personality.
    That is a problem, but the figures who appeal most to the Tea Party base (michelle bachman, sarah palin, Trump, rand paul) usually don't poll well with independents. independents are FAR more likely to vote for a centrist Obama than a Tea Party candidate. The republican base is also FAR more likely to vote for a moderate republican than they would for any democrat.

If I were a republican, I think running a moderate would make more sense. Lots of the republican base wasn't happy with McCain, but how many people here "held their nose" as they voted R, because they didn't want Obama in office?

basically I'm saying the republican base is more willing to go out and "hold their nose" while they vote republican than are independent voters who are terrified of the Sarah Palins and Michelle Bachmans

I think these tea party candidates will be better off fundraising and going on campaign trails giving their support to whoever the establishment republican is, after all, their job is still the same: elect republicans.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    That is a problem, but the figures who appeal most to the Tea Party base (michelle bachman, sarah palin, Trump, rand paul) usually don't poll well with independents. independents are FAR more likely to vote for a centrist Obama than a Tea Party candidate. The republican base is also FAR more likely to vote for a moderate republican than they would for any democrat.

If I were a republican, I think running a moderate would make more sense. Lots of the republican base wasn't happy with McCain, but how many people here "held their nose" as they voted R, because they didn't want Obama in office?

basically I'm saying the republican base is more willing to go out and "hold their nose" while they vote republican than are independent voters who are terrified of the Sarah Palins and Michelle Bachmans

I think these tea party candidates will be better off fundraising and going on campaign trails giving their support to whoever the establishment republican is, after all, their job is still the same: elect republicans.
    HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH, anyone that claims Obama is a centrist is a complete dumbass, Independents are leaving him in droves, just look at the poll numbers, 41% approval and getting lower

Yes Obama is a liberal centrist

AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH great joke dude

He's a fucking progressive fascist is what he is.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.