Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    The problem is conservatives alone cannot carry an election we need to be able to appeal to center and left leaning independents. Sadly the press will smear who ever we put up - so IMO it's better to put up someone who has no visible baggage train following them already - or at least one that does not have the reputation in the press already of being stupid.
    Reagan was to the right and he stood no chance. I don't give a hoot in hell what the "conventional wisdom" is. This country has had a wake up call to the disgrace that is liberalism and is fed up with political nonsense and idiocy from the left. We need to settle on a solid conservative candidate and stop Parroting the left's talking points.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Wood View Post

And I disagree about his "sole accomplishment." Hull went to great lengths to forestall the Japanese attack on the United States. While he ultimately did not talk the Japanese out of that attack, his efforts provided both valuable intel to the ONI as well as being some excellent diplomacy all around in a very tough situation.
    Fair enough, and I certainly didn't mean to denigrate Hull, but my point is that Ike was far more prominent in terms of maintaining alliances in the ETO than Hull was.
    The problem is conservatives alone cannot carry an election we need to be able to appeal to center and left leaning independents. Sadly the press will smear who ever we put up - so IMO it's better to put up someone who has no visible baggage train following them already - or at least one that does not have the reputation in the press already of being stupid.
    Conservatives who run as unapologetic conservatives can carry elections. It's only when we fail to make the case for conservatism that we lose. The exception, Barry Goldwater, was running against the memory of a martyred president and the media, at a time when there was no alternative. Reagan had figured out that he could go over the media's heads and take his case directly to the American people.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Fair enough, and I certainly didn't mean to denigrate Hull, but my point is that Ike was far more prominent in terms of maintaining alliances in the ETO than Hull was.
    Oh, I don't disagree with that at all. Like I said, he certainly had to exercise a significant amount of diplomacy to do his job. And he certainly had more diplomacy than I would have had: I would have beaten that overblown gasbag Monty to a pulp on numerous occasions had it been me in that position!

But I still think that military diplomacy, particularly in wartime, is markedly different from engaging in actual government-to-government foreign policy. Military diplomacy is a juggling act; foreign policy is a chess game. That doesn't meant that military diplomacy is a lesser thing than foreign policy, only that it's a different thing, in my view.

YMMV and all of that.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

Banned
    Does twisting what I say give you a hard on or something? When did I say ANYTHING about picking a Rino? I've stated on here repeatedly that I want someone like West or Cain or some other articulate, thoughtful conservative who is not pulling a baggage train behind them. We need someone cut from the Cloth of Reagan not Dan Quail. Get it?
    Appealing to left leaning independents (your words) equals a RINO in my opinion. Got it!

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    Appealing to left leaning independents (your words) equals a RINO in my opinion. Got it!
    WTF? When did I say left leaning anyone? Keep your words out of my mouth thank you very much.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Conservatives who run as unapologetic conservatives can carry elections. It's only when we fail to make the case for conservatism that we lose. The exception, Barry Goldwater, was running against the memory of a martyred president and the media, at a time when there was no alternative. Reagan had figured out that he could go over the media's heads and take his case directly to the American people.
    I agree. And Palin does not make that case outside of the base and neither does Bachmann. West does. Cain does. Hell even Christie does and he's not even a strong conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    Reagan was to the right and he stood no chance. I don't give a hoot in hell what the "conventional wisdom" is. This country has had a wake up call to the disgrace that is liberalism and is fed up with political nonsense and idiocy from the left. We need to settle on a solid conservative candidate and stop Parroting the left's talking points.
    Reagan was able to make an articulate case for conservatism to the people in the center and on the left. Do you think Bachmann or Palin could do that? DO you think they can become great communicators?

Reagan was able to make an articulate case for conservatism to the people in the center and on the left. Do you think Bachmann or Palin could do that? DO you think they can become great communicators?
    I think Cain could.

ETA: Actually, I think Cain already has done that. He's clearly got the communication part down pat, and I think he's got the "make a case" part down pretty well, too.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Wood View Post
    I think Cain could.

ETA: Actually, I think Cain already has done that. He's clearly got the communication part down pat, and I think he's got the "make a case" part down pretty well, too.
    I agree. Cain has proven himself to be a communicator. Now if he can get the right people in place for a good campaign we might just get to see him have the chance to prove himself.

Banned
    WTF? When did I say left leaning anyone? Keep your words out of my mouth thank you very much.
    You need to learn how to read. You said it. Post #97.