Now that it's down to Gingrich, Paul and Romney, my choices are, in order, Gingrich, Romney and then (:eek:) Paul, but they are all better than Obama.
Basically the GOP is handing the election to Obama on a silver platter. They have no guts.
Here's the thing: If Romney were to suddenly have a Road-to-Damascus moment, he'd be a great candidate. He's an excellent manager, with solid private and public sector experience, and he understands finance like nobody else running. In fact, he's the anti-Obama, a skilled businessman with experience far beyond DC, and someone of significant accomplishment who doesn't inspire through charismatic BS, but just does the job at hand, usually very well. The downside of this is that without knowing his philosophy of government, we could be electing a technocrat whose approach to our major crises is to try to fix it around the edges, rather than to rip out gaping chunks of useless government. I don't hate the guy, I just don't trust him to be more than the sum of his parts.
This, BTW, sums up the Republican field. Newt used to be an extremely effective back-bencher and speaker, but his post congressional-career has been a series of policy reverses and zigzags that weaken our trust in his commitment to fixing DC. Paul, OTOH, has been consistent throughout his career, and where he's right, he's right with a vengeance, but where he's wrong, he's so wrong that it's a deal-breaker. So, what it comes down to is that we can vote for two candidates of proven accomplishment but who we don't trust to do the job because of their policy outlooks, or a candidate with very little executive experience who can be trusted to do the right thing 90% of the time, but is guaranteed to do the wrong thing on the remaining 10%. Since that 10% is national defense, he's lost me.
Cain was the best candidate to challenge Obama but the GOP decided not to circle the wagons when the allegations started coming out and decided to go with a younger version of McCain...as if that turned out swimmingly. The truth is, the difference between the GOP and the Dems is that the Dems, for what it's worth, sticks to their principles. The GOP will never back a true conservative even though most polls show that a majority of the country considers itself conservative.
Romney reminds me of John Edwards, only more polished...but I would vote for him.
He has private sector experience and is proud of being successful. I can stand behind that.
|« Previous Thread | Next Thread »|