Thread: Wal-Mart US CEO To America: "Prepare For Serious Inflation"

Hybrid View

1. #1 Wal-Mart US CEO To America: "Prepare For Serious Inflation" 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    To those who think that buying food in the corner deli is becoming a luxury, we have five words: you ain't seen nuthin' yet. U.S. consumers face "serious" inflation in the months ahead for clothing, food and other products, the head of Wal-Mart's U.S. operations warned Wednesday talking to USA Today.

And if Wal-Mart which is at the very bottom of commoditized consumer retail, and at the very peak of avoiding reexporting of US inflation by way of China is concerned, it may be time to panic, or at least cancel those plane tickets to Zimbabwe, which is soon coming to us.

The world's largest retailer is working with suppliers to minimize the effect of cost increases and believes its low-cost business model will position it better than its competitors.

Still, inflation is "going to be serious," Wal-Mart U.S. CEO Bill Simon said during a meeting with USA TODAY's editorial board. "We're seeing cost increases starting to come through at a pretty rapid rate."

Along with steep increases in raw material costs, John Long, a retail strategist at Kurt Salmon, says labor costs in China and fuel costs for transportation are weighing heavily on retailers. He predicts prices will start increasing at all retailers in June.

"Every single retailer has and is paying more for the items they sell, and retailers will be passing some of these costs along," Long says. "Except for fuel costs, U.S. consumers haven't seen much in the way of inflation for almost a decade, so a broad-based increase in prices will be unprecedented in recent memory."

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/wal...ious-inflation

class war
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.

Brought on by the US Government. The Fed is liquidating it's assets to give short term boosts to the stock market, which is going to lead to massive long term inflation.

That's at least what I heard on the news while waiting for some teeth drillin yesterday.
    Last edited by djones520; 04-01-2011 at 10:29 AM.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Hmmm.

Perhaps you should cultivate some American manufacturing, then.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    Hmmm.

Perhaps you should cultivate some American manufacturing, then.
    We import very little of our food with the exception of luxury goods.

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    We import very little of our food with the exception of luxury goods.
    We import a lot of food. Cheap beef from South America and all those delightful year round veggies from Mexico and places south. Seafood and fruit are also important. We're on top of the wheat/soy/corn thing though which is something, I guess.

(GULP...

My wife has been pointing out to me for some months that this is already happening. {Now, before some of you feminists get after me, you should be informed that although I do not do the shopping, I always clean the kitchen and do the floors.....and lots of other stuff, too:)}

I will assume that this round of inflation will include houses. For now, used houses sell at a 40% to their new counterparts. That's just gotta change as the supply of lived-in houses dries up.