Thread: Peta

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Peta 
    i've commented in other threads why I have a disdain for PETA. A friend of mine in Philly who has her doctorate and teaches mathematics at the university level and has published several books on greyhounds, sent me this info on the group. It gets me even sicker about PETA. I feel that their antics are for publicity, to just drive in more bucks.

The Humane Society where I briefly volunteered had a high kill rate. A west coast rescue group funded by a multimillionaire, called Maddy's fund, offered huge grants to shelters to become no-kill organizations. The shelter in question declined. I quit my unpaid job. There were too many folks who didn't do the grunt work to help the dogs and cats, but just wanted to float in and have their pictures taken for the society section and participate in the parties/fundraisers.

According to official shelter reports filed with the Commonwealth of
    > Virginia (where the PETA "shelter", if you want to call it that, is
    > located), PETA took in 2345 animals, of which 44 were adopted out,
    > 2,200 were killed (euphemistic word used in report is "euthanized"),
    > and 63 were transferred out of the shelter. PETA's kill rate in 2010
    > was 93.81%.
    >
    > Copies of Official Commonwealth of Virginia reports here:
    >
    >
    http://petakillsanimals.com/downloads/PetaKillsAnimals.pdf
    >
    > Article on PETA's record here (they haven't updated the article to
    > show the 2010 numbers yet, reports just came out)
    >
    >
    http://www.petakillsanimals.com/
    >
    > According to the combined yearly totals (since 1998), PETA has taken
    > in 29,823 animals into their "shelter", and killed 25,840 of these for
    > a kill rate of 85.1%
    - a rate that I would suspect is among the
    > highest in the country (even shelters in the deep South typically
    > don't have a kill rate above 60% if that.)
    >
    > And PETA is telling breeders, farmers, etc what they should be doing??!!
    >
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

In 1999 my wife and I adopted a cat(we still have him) from a no kill shelter called Hermitage. So, I know of at least 1. As for PeTA, they are a leftist front group nothing more.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    In 1999 my wife and I adopted a cat(we still have him) from a no kill shelter called Hermitage. So, I know of at least 1. As for PeTA, they are a leftist front group nothing more.
    There's a no kill sanctuary near St Louis called Open Door. Also the St Charles County (northwest of St Louis county) also is no kill.

There are way too many greyhounds killed. The majority of them don't survive the track. There just aren't enough volunteers to keep alive all the animals dumped from the track. The vet yesterday said there aren't that many greys who got the loving care that my Blue received.

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    There's a no kill sanctuary near St Louis called Open Door. Also the St Charles County (northwest of St Louis county) also is no kill.

There are way too many greyhounds killed. The majority of them don't survive the track. There just aren't enough volunteers to keep alive all the animals dumped from the track. The vet yesterday said there aren't that many greys who got the loving care that my Blue received.
    Spencer's Kennel is a shelter in St. Clair County. It's where we got our dog at. I'm pretty sure their no kill as well. The shelter we got our cat from is a no kill one as well. I'm not sure where they are though, since we got them while they were doing "give aways" at Pet Smart.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

(even shelters in the deep South typically don't have a kill rate above 60% if that.)
    Why is this article implying that "the deep South" is more prone to killing?
    Obviously written by a damn yankee.

That said, I hate PETA and agree with you SLW.
    They are nothing more than a left-wing loon society
    that exploits homeless and abused animals for money.

Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post

Maybe shelters in the deep south do have a high kill rate? Something to look up maybe.

This PDF I found shows that in 2005 Longview, TX had the highest kill rate at 70 animals per 1000 people. Tupelo, MS was second at 55 per 1000. Orangeburg City, SC was third at 49 per 1000, and Shreveport, LA was fourth at 48 per 1000 people.

http://www.ci.la.ca.us/ANI/PDF/repor...comparison.pdf

I doubt this should be used as definitive, since it seems to leave a lot of info out, but it's something I guess.
    Last edited by djones520; 04-02-2011 at 01:39 PM.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post

If I had my own place, which may happen pretty soon. . . I would like a greyhound. I like to take walks and even run a little to keep trim, so . . . a greyhound seems like a good dog and exercise buddy. I know I gotta keep the poor kid on a leash, but eh.... seems like if I know what I'm doing, a second life for a retired racer would be a nice first pet for me.

~QC
    Last edited by CueSi; 04-02-2011 at 03:34 PM.
    "The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is hard business. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." Rudyard Kipling - (1865-1936)

Context doesn't matter to this liberal it seems/ as long as it satisfies his godless dreams/ like monkeys throwing sh!t as castles in air/ as long as he throws/that is the extent of his care.

Quote Originally Posted by CueSi View Post
    If I had my own place, which may happen pretty soon. . . I would like a greyhound. I like to take walks and even run a little to keep trim, so . . . a greyhound seems like a good dog and exercise buddy. I know I gotta keep the poor kid on a leash, but eh.... seems like if I know what I'm doing, a second life for a retired racer would be a nice first pet for me.

~QC
    They're wonderful animals, gentle and loving pets, but they aren't watchdogs. They'll love you to death, though. They're also sprinters, not long distance runners.

When I adopted my greys I had to sign an agreement to keep them on lead. Today we took Xena and Darlene to a local dog park. We couldn't do it before, because I was afraid my "bubble dog", Blue, would be attacked or knocked over with a bunch of dogs running around.

There is no shortage of greyhounds in Florida. This is the last stop in their racing career. If they don't find homes, the end isn't pretty.

My favorite color grey is black, like Darlene. Blue, when I first got him, was a dark charcoal grey. The black greys are so beautiful and sleek, look like that Erte picture of the Art Deco woman with her black greyhound.

For some reason, black dogs get adopted last, no matter what breed. I've heard they don't photograph well for adoption pictures and that people are afraid of any black dogs, probably because of dobermans. People are stupid sometimes.

I had a very tiny black dog named Tiny (imagine that) who was my all time favorite female dog. She was wonderful. Everyone loved her. She wouldn't hurt a fly....well, she would hurt moles. She used to dig them up, kill them. and line them up in a straight line.

Darlene, the black female grey I have now, is the queen of the pet therapy dogs. Everyone loves her. So I fortunately usually have the pick of the greyhounds when I tell them I want a black one. It really doesn't matter, they're all beautiful.

"

I know they suck as watchdogs... but I also like the couch potato aspect. Just seems like it would be nice to come home to this. "Are we watching Football, recorded Mythbusters, or Recorded Glenn Beck?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoFK0n6zk4E&

lost it @ "She's not very bright...but she sure is pretty."

~QC
    "The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is hard business. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." Rudyard Kipling - (1865-1936)

Context doesn't matter to this liberal it seems/ as long as it satisfies his godless dreams/ like monkeys throwing sh!t as castles in air/ as long as he throws/that is the extent of his care.

Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post

I was poised to pounce on this very thing.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand