Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Earliest Image of the Face of Jesus? 
    Interesting story. I've been following this for a week or so.

The image is eerily familiar: a bearded young man with flowing curly hair. After lying for nearly 2,000 years hidden in a cave in the Holy Land, the fine detail is difficult to determine. But in a certain light it is not difficult to interpret the marks around the figure’s brow as a crown of thorns.

The extraordinary picture of one of the recently discovered hoard of up to 70 lead codices – booklets – found in a cave in the hills overlooking the Sea of Galilee is one reason Bible historians are clamouring to get their hands on the ancient artefacts.

If genuine, this could be the first-ever portrait of Jesus Christ, possibly even created in the lifetime of those who knew him.

The tiny booklet, a little smaller than a modern credit card, is sealed on all sides and has a three-dimensional representation of a human head on both the front and the back. One appears to have a beard and the other is without. Even the maker’s fingerprint can be seen in the lead impression. Beneath both figures is a line of as-yet undeciphered text in an ancient Hebrew script.

Astonishingly, one of the booklets appears to bear the words ‘Saviour of Israel’ – one of the few phrases so far translated.
    Whole story here

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post

Whole story here
    We have a far more accurate view of the Christ in Shroud Of Turin .Do you know what the purpose of such a small book was and why was it made ?

Looks just like him.
    "Our president delivered his State of the Union message to Congress. That is one of the things his contract calls for -- to tell congress the condition of the country. This message, as I say, is to Congress. The rest of the people know the condition of the country, for they live in it, but Congress has no idea what is going on in America, so the president has to tell 'em." ~ Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    Looks just like him.
    He's lost weight. :D
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    We have a far more accurate view of the Christ in Shroud Of Turin .Do you know what the purpose of such a small book was and why was it made ?
    I am not convinced that the shroud is real but I try to keep an open mind about these things.

Since the codices are small, they seem to be related to individual worship and study. That some are completely sealed, however, is perplexing. Being made out of what they are means that they were meant to last a while.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    I posted on this a couple days ago, I thought it was really cool find

I am not convinced that the shroud is real but I try to keep an open mind about these things.
    Not me. I think an open mind on the writings is good. An open mind, as in maybe it's Jesus, is not an open mind at all.
    Last edited by Articulate_Ape; 04-03-2011 at 10:07 PM.
    "Our president delivered his State of the Union message to Congress. That is one of the things his contract calls for -- to tell congress the condition of the country. This message, as I say, is to Congress. The rest of the people know the condition of the country, for they live in it, but Congress has no idea what is going on in America, so the president has to tell 'em." ~ Will Rogers

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    How far back does the Gideons organization go?

To me this is fascinating. Not definitive but fascinating.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Fabulous Poster
    Alternatively, it could be the oldest example of a luggage tag.

Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    Not me. I think an open mind on the writings is good. An open mind, as in maybe it's Jesus, is not an open mind at all.
    With the Lord all things are possible. That His Son could leave an image in His death shroud at the resurrection I have no doubt. The questions I have is would He and for what purpose. Believers don't need such proof so what was the intention in leaving it behind? Also the Gospels mention finding His death shroud neatly folded in His tomb. I would think that if this detail was worth mentioning then the fact that the linen contained an image would also be noted.

C. S. Lewis