1. #1 Season of TV shows blown out of cloud... for good 
    Season of TV shows blown out of cloud... for good

Someone forget to tick the back-up box

By Chris Mellor • Get more from this author

Posted in Cloud, 4th April 2011 13:57 GMT

A US cloud storage provider is being sued because it did not provide a recoverable backup of TV show files deleted by an aggrieved ex-employee.
    zodiacisland

F-A-I-L spells... fail!

CyberLynk, headquartered in Wisconsin, was used by a Hawaiiian TV show production and distribution company, WeR1 World Network, to store episodes of its children's TV show, Zodiac Island. The files were the result of two years' of work by hundreds of people from dozens of companies, and included animation files, soundtracks, storyboards and videos.

CyberLynk had fired an employee called Michael Scott Jewson and, according to a Honolulu courthouse news report, one month after being given the boot, Jewson accessed CyberLynk servers and wiped out 304GB of data, including 14 Zodiac Island episodes, a full season of the show.

WeR1's claim against CyberLynk says that Adam Hobach, CyberLynk's president, admitted to Ingrid Wang, WeR1's CEO, that not all the data could be recovered. Oops. If true, this means CyberLynk let a fired employee back into its systems – FAIL! – and did not have an offline or off-site backup of the data, such as a tape library: double FAIL.

Jewson appears to have admitted what he did and offered to pay restitution, but WeR1 says he can't pay what they will lose. Zodiac Island's first season ran in the 2008-2009 period and more than 100 US TV stations featured it, so we're talking big bucks by an individual employee's standard.

Interestingly CyberLynk does offer backup services and promotes the idea of its users making local backups too:
    Oops. More at the link.

IT Register

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    i highly doubt that CyberLynk LET anyone fired into their servers. Sounds like the guy hacked the servers and deleted the info...why he would go after a kiddie show from Hawaii is beyond me.

The TV station not having backups of it onsite is fail as well.

I wish someone had done that to Full House.
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

I guess no one there ever heard of one of these?

I wish someone had done that to Full House.
    Then we wouldn't have gotten to know this:
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    i highly doubt that CyberLynk LET anyone fired into their servers. Sounds like the guy hacked the servers and deleted the info...why he would go after a kiddie show from Hawaii is beyond me.

The TV station not having backups of it onsite is fail as well.
    If they were lax enough not to have secure backups then it doesn't surprise me that they were lax enough not to have removed the guy's login and permissions from the network authorization server.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    If they were lax enough not to have secure backups then it doesn't surprise me that they were lax enough not to have removed the guy's login and permissions from the network authorization server.
    probably...

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post

Then we wouldn't have gotten to know this:
    What the hell is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    What the hell is that?
    No idea, thought it was Jodie Sweetin at first, but it's not. whoever it it she was never on Full House unless it was a one time role