Thread: Home School

eagleexpress
    I am beyond pissed my girls brought home permission slips to be able to get a sex ed class taught to them. The topic was about condoms and how to prevent pregnancy and AIDS they are 7 and 8 any suggestions? So would any parents take their children from public school and consider home school for this?
    Last edited by eagleexpress; 04-05-2011 at 01:18 PM. Reason: wanted to add

People home school for a lot of reasons and some home school to avoid this type of material. Just write "NO" in a red marker across the slips and then call the teacher to find out where your kids will be during the class.

Then go to the school on that day and time to make sure that your kids are not part of the class.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eagleexpress View Post
    I am beyond pissed my girls brought home permission slips to be able to get a sex ed class taught to them. The topic was about condoms and how to prevent pregnancy and AIDS they are 7 and 8 any suggestions? So would any parents take their children from public school and consider home school for this?
    thats messed up, My kids are home schooled. It can be a pain, but it's worth it. I wouldn't let a 7 and 8 year old go through that.

7 and 8 are pretty young for the condom lessons. We didn't get into that in my 5th grade sex ed class, that was more of a 9th grade Health Class issue.

They briefly discussed STDs in 5th and 7th grade, but that was before AIDS. It was a scare tactic thing, though. There was no discussion of condoms involved until high school, although antibiotics as treatment were discussed.

eagleexpress
    I have been thinking all year about home schooling with the girls next year. My oldest is Miss Social Butterfly and the 7 year old was a premie and still small for her age so she is picked on all the time for her tiny body. (She is in a size 4) so it has been a pretty rough year for her. Big sister who is 10 months older is always defending her and flitting around trying to make peace. Husband wants both of his babies safe and in the nest

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    I have been thinking all year about home schooling with the girls next year. My oldest is Miss Social Butterfly and the 7 year old was a premie and still small for her age so she is picked on all the time for her tiny body. (She is in a size 4) so it has been a pretty rough year for her. Big sister who is 10 months older is always defending her and flitting around trying to make peace. Husband wants both of his babies safe and in the nest
    check with your local laws, here in Michigan it's fairly easy, you don't even need to let the school or state know, as long as you are doing as your constitutionally right to do so. If it's for religious reasons there are much more too it.

http://www.k12.com/

Check out the K12 Academy. My wife and I home schooled our daughter for a few years using this and it was great! We don't have problem with the public schools around here. I'm in a very conservative community and the elected school board knows it. However, my daughter did have some disciplinary and social problems, so we decided to home school her and try to work those issues out. (Actually one of her teachers recommended it). It worked out for the most part.

Anyway, the virtual academy supplies you with materials, textbooks, and all sorts of aids both physical and online. There are online tutors and real teachers you can chat with and conference into your home schooling to help you out and make sure you are doing things right. The VA is itself a "public school" of sorts, so it's mostly paid for by the funds your current public school would get for enrolling your children. Those funds are cut from your public school and redirected to the Virtual Academy if I recall correctly, so you won't be subsidizing the "bad" public school you withdrew your children from, while paying for their homeschooling out of pocket.

P.S.: Both of my cousins did this virtual academy home schooling until starting public high school, and they are model young adults, going to college, studying abroad, etc., etc. My aunt is kind of a superhuman mom/businesswoman though, so I don't know if this result is typical.
    Last edited by malloc; 04-05-2011 at 06:52 PM.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense

My youngest is currently in an online public school. Our budget won't stretch for private school tuition, or even the expenses of homeschooling, but the online public school is nearly the same cost as our local school.

She does all her work on the computer, and goes to virtual live class once a week for each subject. I don't know how the youngest grades differ, but I know that they are possible...our school system has a K - 6 program in Texas.

If you are interested, you could do an online search for online schools in your state.
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.

eagleexpress
    I have been looking all afternoon and most of the night found some great information thank you everyone