Thread: Hurricane Gustav!
Results 1 to 10 of 61
#1 Hurricane Gustav!08-30-2008, 11:23 AM
OK, lets try this again.
And Eyelids, if you try and turn this thread into a personal attack flame fest
the Mods will delete your posts faster than a wide screen TV would last in
a New Orleans Electronics store after a CAT 5.
Gustav is well on it's way to being a CAT 5 I think. Upper level winds are
favorable and there isn't a lot of shear so this puppy will probably continue
It's a CAT 3 now with winds of 121mph and a nicely formed eye with good outflow
in all directions.
It has a solid core of heavy T-Storms and it has the most important thing a hurricane needs
to grow, lots of really warm water, in the 90's in places, which is like jet fuel to a storm
This one is gonna be interesting! I know the Weather Channel already has Jeff Morrow down
there and they'll probably send Cantori and/or one of the WC babes down also!! Here's
the 5 day tracker.
Hey Nagin, better get your people ready to boogy early this time! If you screw this one
up they're gonna feed you to the gators. :DMay the FORCE be with you!
08-30-2008, 12:02 PM
Winds are now up to 125 mph.May the FORCE be with you!
08-30-2008, 12:52 PM
I always feel guilty that I'm thankful when they don't come here. I hope everyone stays safe.Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III
08-30-2008, 02:00 PM
- Join Date
- Aug 2008
Hello my Florida & Louisiana Friends that are about to get hit yet again, you guys are all in my prayers...
Besides Prayers, I want to mention some observations I have after I worked at a three digit Government Agency, for over two years (1 as a Supervisor) (hell no! NOT FEMA!)
1. if you bug out and evacuate, Please Take ALL Insurance, Home Ownership, Mortgage Docs & other documents you will need with you if you believe your home/business is going to be damaged & destroyed, (water gets in EVERYTHING, I have seen homes that had 6" of water, where the water migrated 6' up the walls,insulation, sheetrock and anywhere it can migrate) (windows blown out, while driving rain for 6 hours fills up the house!) (Insurance & Mortgage companies, will replace the paperwork, BUT it would be awhile! (you are # 386,763 & your request will be handled... yada,yada:(
2. Insurance Companies LOVE to get your premiums on time, do not expect them "to be there for you" in a disaster event, they are concerned with: 1. getting out of paying you anything "ummmmm yes, Mr. Jones, we agree you had water damage, yet you have no flood insurance, we will only cover the WIND damages to your home/business, the fact that the WIND broke the windows, and tore your roof off, is NOT covered for Water damages, that would be a flood policy, & other similar Bullshit)
2. paying as little as possible, on your claim, (they love to get paid, and HATE to payout)
3. Insurance Companies & Mortgage Companies love to lay around in bed together, the Mortgage company may DEMAND that you pay down/off your mortgage, with your Insurance recovery funds! (if youa re willing to give $150,000 for a pile of broken twisted 2x4's and broken windows, please PM me, I have lots of scrap wood in my construction yard!) think carefully before you do this, how are you going to rebuild/repair if you give all your Insurance money to payoff a home that is now damaged & basically worthless AND has no/little loan value???!!!
4. get an attorney, if the amount of money is substantial, and you believe it is the only way (best way is to be a letter writing, bug up their ass on a daily basis, squeaky wheels GET the grease with Insurance/Mortgage companies (Government Agencies too!;) or join a class action suit, Insurance & Mortgage Companies are not your friend, they do not want a 'relationship' with you, they want to get their money, they want it on time, and you are a number to them..
The reason I posted this is because I have almost been in tears talking to disaster victims, who have lost everything, being victimized BOHICA again by these companies (I am a 6'-2" strapping Texas Redneck Construction Hand, So There!:p) discussing people's cases, and agreeing that the only option now, is a huge loan increase, on their Govt Backed Loan) with them following a natural disaster, and seeing up close & personal the sham that is Insurance, & Mortgage Documents that have you by the shorthairs, Fight Them! do NOT give in, or up to these companies/cretins, they put the screws to the people that are the backbone of the disaster damaged area in question..
Rant Over..:DSeparated, I cut myself clean
From a past that comes back in my darkest of dreams
Been apprehended by a spiritual force
And a grace that replaced all the me Ive divorced ~ Jesus Freak - DC Talk
08-30-2008, 02:27 PM
Here's another cool pick of both storms out there at present.
May the FORCE be with you!
08-30-2008, 02:47 PMMay the FORCE be with you!
08-30-2008, 03:48 PM
- Join Date
- Aug 2008
My brother lives on Galveston Island, about 300 yards from the ocean. A ground floor apartment, to boot! :eek:
He is in the Coast Guard and is fully expecting that if Gustav causes problems, they will have a huge job to do over the upcoming days and weeks.
His unit is evacuating inland, probably tomorrow. They'll ride out the storm at Fort Hood, and then deploy immediately to wherever they're needed. After Katrina his unit was deployed for several months in New Orleans. The helicopters are headed inland, the small boat station is headed inland, and the cutters have already headed out to sea (they're safer out there than at the dock or in shallow water).
He's sure that if the storm surge goes over the seawall, his apartment will be flooded. He's about 1.5 ft over sea level and is close to the water. Add to that the fact that he's single and may be gone for weeks/months, and it's going to be a real mess to deal with when he gets back.
His priorities are in order - his laptop, digital camera, and his personal gun collection are all going with him, along with his renter's and car insurance policies! :D He's hitting Walmart for a supply of snacks - he's not eating MREs if he doesn't have to.
08-30-2008, 03:49 PM
- Join Date
- May 2008
I was going to be in the Caribbean this week! :eek:
|« Previous Thread | Next Thread »|