Thread: It's back...Commodore 64

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 It's back...Commodore 64 

I was just 6 years old when the Commodore 64 computer went on sale in the summer of 1982. Although I already owned a computer at the time -- a ZX Spectrum -- I remember my excitement about possibly getting my little hyperactive hands on the newly released Commodore.

At the time, the Commodore computer cost $595 and came with a whopping 64 kilobytes of memory. It also contained a graphics and sound card that stood apart from other computers of the day.

Now, nearly 30 years later, the Commodore brand has taken on new management and is re-releasing its flagship computer, this time with all the amenities of a modern-day computer packed inside.

In its heyday, the Commodore 64 was one of the most successful home computers made, shipping more than two million units a year for almost a decade after its release. Although exact numbers don't exist, experts estimate that the company sold between 15 and 30 million Commodore 64 computers.
    It's back

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    The new Commodore 64, which will begin shipping at the end of the month, has been souped up for the modern age. It comes with a 1.8 gigahertz dual-core processor, an optional Blu-ray player and built-in ethernet and HDMI ports. It runs the Linux operating system but the company says you can install Windows if you like. The new Commodore is priced between $250 to $900
    thats actually quite impressive for the money, for anyone that wants to go retro without wanting to spend the time making their own cases.

We had one, but it was the "portable" version, one with a tiny ass screen built in, only really good for games

My father had the warranty repair contract for these. It built his business from a $25K letter of credit to a $9 million dollar buyout offer in five years. (Alas, the rags to riches to rags story came true).:(
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

The 64 was the first computer I ever played on - connected to a 13 inch B/W TV in my aunts game room . . . . But go to hell if I'd ever buy one unless it came with Oregon trail pre-installed . . . . ;)
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    This was my first PC, 2nd, 3rd...

I also owned the Amiga, their last brand before going belly up.

The Amiga would be closer to this design then the C64 was. As it was all in one, where the C64 didn't have a built in modem, or any drives at all.

I remember having an old tape drive for the C64.

Wrote some simple games for that PC, mostly pong style, or worms. But at that time, that was almost as good as going to the Arcade.

Second style was the 5 1/4 drive

http://www.lemon64.com/museum/manual...sers_guide.jpg

Both these were external. C64 didn't have an internal drive.

Then there was the modem

This thing was large and bulky, plugged into a port on the back, and was slow as hell. But it allowed some of the earliest games to be played online. One I had was called Modem Wars.

I can see the Retro style in this, but I think there would be a market for the Amiga style more. It was more stylish, and top of the line. Killer graphics to boot, In some cases better then some PCs of today.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

It would be cool to have, especially at work. The look on people's faces when they seen you start to use it would be priceless!!!! :D

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    It would be cool to have, especially at work. The look on people's faces when they seen you start to use it would be priceless!!!! :D
    especially the young guys that have never seen one. :D

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post

Could you imagine if you were a CPA and your clients came in and seen that on your desk. :D

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    Could you imagine if you were a CPA and your clients came in and seen that on your desk. :D
    LMAO that would be awesome, especially if they dressed the part, bright clothes and a big bushy mustache :D

The big Cheese
    Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    you are one of those young guys.

Dude you were one when the C64 was big
    One does not greet death when he knocks at your door.

Nay you repeatedly punch him in the throat as he slowly drags you away.