Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 If you had the opportunity, would you leave the USA, given where we are and are heade 
    These are always good for a few laughs. This one is no exception.

Faygo Kid (1000+ posts) Sun Apr-10-11 12:38 PM
    Original message
    If you had the opportunity, would you leave the USA, given where we are and are headed?
    I've been thinking about this for some time now. I have always fought back - the assassinations and civil rights struggles in the '60s, Vietnam, the Reagan years, the war in Iraq, and on and on. But I have never seen a more bleak time as now, as all assets are concentrated in the hands of a few, unions are destroyed and it's only a matter of time until the New Deal is unraveled.

In 1973 I spent considerable time as a college student in Germany. I made very good friends there and they asked me to stay. Instead, I returned to the US to complete my degree and made a pretty good life of it. But if that situation existed now, I don't think I would return.

What say you?
    Yeah, yeah, ywah. Same old bullshit. The country's just going to hell in a handbasket because people here aren't fond of communism.
    Quist (68 posts) Sun Apr-10-11 12:44 PM
    Response to Reply #1
    3. Where would you go...
    ..that's better than here?
    :eek:

How DARE you??!?!! Don't you know that the US is the worstest place on the planet?! Blasphemer!
    WinkyDink (1000+ posts) Sun Apr-10-11 12:48 PM
    Response to Reply #3
    8. Wow. That question shows severe insularity.
    Here we go.
    Quist (68 posts) Sun Apr-10-11 01:39 PM
    Response to Reply #8
    30. No

That's what YOU read into it. I just re-asked the question the OP did. He said it was bad here; I asked where would he go that was better than here. Simple.
    Uh oh. You don't have nearly enough posts to question the all-knowing Winky, Quist. Better lay low before you get a granite sandwich.
    maxsolomon (1000+ posts) Sun Apr-10-11 12:55 PM
    Response to Original message
    11. Anyplace LESS religious.
    But the choices aren't very numerous:

Canada, N. Europe, Au/NZ, Japan.

I have expat friends in Columbia and Cyprus. They like it, and they don't miss idiocy of the "Greatest Nation on the Planet".
    Fuckin' churches! It's a damn good thing they don't have any of those in northern Europe!

Oh, wait....
    Zorra (1000+ posts) Sun Apr-10-11 12:56 PM
    14. I left the country relatively soon after the Bush inauguration.
    I tried to get people to engage in a general strike after the Bush selection, but was ignored. Disgusted, I left the country and spent most of the Bush years abroad.

If republicans continue to make gains in 2012, and the movement that recently started in Wisconsin fizzles out, I'm definitely planning on leaving again.
    HHHAHAHAAAHAAHAHAAHAHAA!!!

"No one would listen to the angry, stupid moonbat ranting, so I stomped off to Vancouver for eight years and bitched about it on DU."
    TorchTheWitch (1000+ posts) Sun Apr-10-11 01:12 PM
    24. Absolutely
    I have absolutely no hope whatsoever in this country. Sadly, no decent country is willing to take me.
    PFFFAAAAAAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAH!!!!!!111

Do you know why that is, moonbat? Because other countries actually enforce their immigration laws, and none of them have need for someone whose professional skillset is "sit in parent's basement stoned and eating cheetos."
    KamaAina (1000+ posts) Mon Apr-11-11 11:26 AM
    73. If all of us progressives leave, there's no question where the U.S. is headed
    straight to teabagger Hell.
    DOH! Foiled again! If it weren't for those meddling kids....
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Wood View Post
    Fuckin' churches! It's a damn good thing they don't have any of those in northern Europe!
    Oh, there are lots of them. They are mostly open as tourist attractions.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Faygo Kid (1000+ posts) Sun Apr-10-11 12:38 PM
    Original message
    If you had the opportunity, would you leave the USA, given where we are and are headed?
    For the first time in my life,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,YES!

I actually will leave if we continue down the path that you Regressives ("progressives") keep going down. The USA cannot survive in the traditional role and living conditions I have grown accustomed to. I will leave when the last straw is applied. Think John Galt. You poo flinging monkeys can cannibalize off of each other once all the productive members of society have had enough.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Power CUer
    Where have you selected that is better, AmPat?
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Where have you selected that is better, AmPat?
    I have land in Panama. Not better, just remote and no government sucking the life out of me.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    I have land in Panama. Not better, just remote and no government sucking the life out of me.
    Too hot. If I were going to desert my country, I'd at least go somewhere pleasant. :)

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Too hot. If I were going to desert my country, I'd at least go somewhere pleasant. :)
    WARNING, Video virus folloes:

I will be shirtless and in speedos if necessay. I'll be in my mid fifties, skinny, straw hat, sandals, white socks.

Skipping lunch today?:D
    C. S. Lewis
    Ayn Rand

Power CUer
    WARNING, Video virus folloes:

I will be shirtless and in speedos if necessay. I'll be in my mid fifties, skinny, straw hat, sandals, white socks.

Skipping lunch today?:D
    Yes; I'll need the time to go gouge out my eyes. :p

Banned
    I have been thinking about the Caribbean. St Croix would be nice but it is very expensive. Pros..US territory, dollar is the currency, English speaking, no cold winters, avoid many of the hassles in other non US countries. Cons... everything is more expensive cause it has to be imported, hurricane alley, insurance is outrageous, very small island (island fever), housing is high and food is 25% higher. The only thing holding me back from moving is my family.

For the first time in my life,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,YES!
    Me too...I have seriously never allowed myself to even entertain the thought of
    living outside of my beloved Texas. But I am very seriously thinking about it now.

I want to be a cook on a Merchant Marine vessel, and just roam the seven seas.
    That's my goal at the moment.