Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Was the Vietnam War worth fighting? Millions killed for "containment" 
    The Vietnam war remains one of the most brutal and terrible wars in history.

An example of America jumping into an internal conflict that was happening within Vietnam, taking sides in the conflict, and having to face the consequences for a decade.

The arguments and justification for this were outlined as part of an overall plan of "containment" towards the threat of Communism.

Without going into a long drawn-out analysis of the conflict, I just want to ask a simple question: Was the Vietnam War worth fighting?

When you look at the casualties (millions), the terrible war crimes committed, the lives broken and lost, the impact it had on Americans - was all this a worthy price to pay for our goals in that conflict?
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.

Hindsight is 20/20
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Banned
    Well it wound up undermining our democracy permanently on top of being the King Quagmire of all Quagmires. I'm gonna say no, but I'm very excited to see the craziest defense of the war CU can come up with. Let the games begin!

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Hindsight is 20/20
    Of course but there were voices speaking out with extreme clarity during the conflict.

This was spoken in 1967.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b80Bsw0UG-U

This is Martin Luther King Jr speaking on the subject of Vietnam (as well as Racism, economic justice, and more), and is in my opinion one of the best speeches/analyses given on this topic.
    Last edited by Wei Wu Wei; 04-11-2011 at 07:58 PM.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KhrushchevsShoe View Post
    Well it wound up undermining our democracy permanently on top of being the King Quagmire of all Quagmires. I'm gonna say no, but I'm very excited to see the craziest defense of the war CU can come up with. Let the games begin!
    Simple: Noble cause, horrid execution, ungrateful and traitorous youth demonstrators.

I think Weible is just starting another hate America rant.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.

Wei was it Okay for the communists to take over and then kill over a million people in Cambodia?

Quote Originally Posted by CaughtintheMiddle1990 View Post
    Simple: Noble cause, horrid execution, ungrateful and traitorous youth demonstrators.
    I invite you to listen to the MLK speech, it's not the longest speech ever and it isn't too difficult either. I'd like to hear your reactions to it because you seem to have wrapped up a decade of intense conflict into a pretty simple picture.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Wei was it Okay for the communists to take over and then kill over a million people in Cambodia?
    Millions died in Viet Nam you know?