View Poll Results: Will you vote for either of the Pauls?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ron Paul

5 15.15%
  • Rand Paul

4 12.12%
  • Lets have the first father/son as president and vice president! WOOT!

6 18.18%
  • Nah

18 54.55%
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jnkbortka View Post
    well that also had to do with the UN. it worked and still does work pretty well for Switzerland

http://cominganarchy.com/2010/11/09/...utral-america/
    Switzerland is a postage stamp in the middle of the most inaccessible mountains in Europe, surrounded by major powers which were a strategic threat, and with no exports except for chocolate and cuckoo clocks. Their neutrality is a matter of necessity. The article misstates or ignores strategic threats to the US and fails to acknowledge that our position as the single largest economy in the world makes us a target, not just for plunderers, but for those who seek to dominate other states that we trade with or which provide us with critical strategic resources. It's an infantile view of foreign policy, and no one who understands how the world works could possibly subscribe to it.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Switzerland is a postage stamp in the middle of the most inaccessible mountains in Europe, surrounded by major powers which were a strategic threat, and with no exports except for chocolate and cuckoo clocks. Their neutrality is a matter of necessity. The article misstates or ignores strategic threats to the US and fails to acknowledge that our position as the single largest economy in the world makes us a target, not just for plunderers, but for those who seek to dominate other states that we trade with or which provide us with critical strategic resources. It's an infantile view of foreign policy, and no one who understands how the world works could possibly subscribe to it.

And that right there sums up the foreign policy knowledge base of Dr. Nutz and all of his cult followers.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Ron Paul is the "Right's" version of Dennis Kucinich..
    Yes..this camera is heavy.
    No...you can't be on TV.
    Look kid, go bother the reporter...I'm busy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    but we don't NEED to trade with others, if we put tariffs on imports, it will encourage businesses to make stuff here, releasing us of foreign dependancy, and creating jobs
    If you want to see my political views, check out my profile. i have them on my wall because there wasn't enough room in the info section.

but we don't NEED to trade with others, if we put tariffs on imports, it will encourage businesses to make stuff here, releasing us of foreign dependancy, and creating jobs
    You're an idiot with absolutely no sense of trade...commerce or what it takes to build make things we've been trading with other nations since the earliest days of this country.

Go back farther and the Indian nations traded with each other.

And you wonder why Ronulans are so roundly mocked and discarded when it comes to serious discussions of politics.

In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Uh, no. Tariffs fail because they end up putting control of imports and exports in the hands of the government, rather than the private sector. That's not to say that there isn't a use for tariffs, but best kept as a weapon to punish countries that attempt to block us from accessing their markets. Tariffs can encourage businesses to make stuff here, but they also drive up the cost of goods and services that can be made cheaper elsewhere. That's the whole point of trade, that you exchange what you can make easily but someone else cannot for what they can make easily but you cannot. For example, the US has the most efficient agricultural sector in the world, and our exports exceed our imports, but there are certain types of produce that are much harder to grow here than elsewhere, such as tropical fruits, coffee, cocoa, etc. That's not to say that we couldn't grow them, but if we did, we'd have to expend a lot more effort for less gain. However, if we traded wheat, which we grow relatively easily in abundance, for cocoa, then we are trading an easy commodity for a difficult one, and the cocoa producers are doing the same. Everyone benefits. The other issue with tariffs is that self-sufficiency is an illusion. There are materials that we cannot produce here, and must import. For example, our heavy industry depends on tungsten, which is rare in the US, but much more common in China, certain parts of Europe and South America. Cutting off the supply of tungsten does more harm than good for us, and hits us in our most advanced manufacturing sectors.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by newshutr View Post
    Ron Paul is the "Right's" version of Dennis Kucinich..
    QFT

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    The tariff was put in place for several reasons after the American Revolution, to encourage American Industry in the North, to limit the South's agricultural power that was derived from slavery and most importantly to limit England's influence in the US. there was a lot of pressure to keep them balanced, and where one of the leading causes of the Civil War.

It was protectionism pure and simple. The last time we put a tariff on something, Bush got his ass handed to him because the price of steel skyrocketed due to the trade war that went on between the US, Europe and China
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    T The last time we put a tariff on something, Bush got his ass handed to him because the price of steel skyrocketed due to the trade war that went on between the US, Europe and China
    We are still suffering dearly in heavy equipment trades because of this, steel is three times the cost now.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    You're an idiot with absolutely no sense of trade...commerce or what it takes to build make things we've been trading with other nations since the earliest days of this country.

Go back farther and the Indian nations traded with each other.

And you wonder why Ronulans are so roundly mocked and discarded when it comes to serious discussions of politics.

what about putting tariffs on everything but raw materials.
    If you want to see my political views, check out my profile. i have them on my wall because there wasn't enough room in the info section.