Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Seattle school renames Easter eggs 'Spring Spheres' 
    Seattle school renames Easter eggs 'Spring Spheres'

By Stephanie Klein
    MyNorthwest.com Editor

A sophomore at a local private high school thinks an effort to make Easter politically correct is ridiculous.

Jessica, 16, told KIRO Radio's Dori Monson Show that a week before spring break, the students commit to a week-long community service project. She decided to volunteer in a third grade class at a public school, which she would like to remain nameless.

"At the end of the week I had an idea to fill little plastic eggs with treats and jelly beans and other candy, but I was kind of unsure how the teacher would feel about that," Jessica said.

She was concerned how the teacher might react to the eggs after of a meeting earlier in the week where she learned about "their abstract behavior rules."

"I went to the teacher to get her approval and she wanted to ask the administration to see if it was okay," Jessica explained. "She said that I could do it as long as I called this treat 'spring spheres.' I couldn't call them Easter eggs."

Rather than question the decision, Jessica opted to "roll with it." But the third graders had other ideas.

"When I took them out of the bag, the teacher said, 'Oh look, spring spheres' and all the kids were like 'Wow, Easter eggs.' So they knew," Jessica said.

The Seattle elementary school isn't the only government organization using spring over Easter. The city's parks department has removed Easter from all of its advertised egg hunts.

My Northwest

Eggs make crappy spheres.

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    Eggs make crappy spheres.
    Do you really expect school teachers to know that?
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    Do you really expect school teachers to know that?
    They are evil and must be destroyed.

This says a lot about the education of teachers in Seattle. An egg is not a sphere.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Seattle school renames Easter eggs 'Spring Spheres'
    What's next: Fecies is now Smelly tootsies?

I HATE/DETEST/ABHOR political correctness.:mad:
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    What's next: Fecies is now Smelly tootsies?

I HATE/DETEST/ABHOR political correctness.:mad:
    This isn't even political correctness, it is "remove a Christian reference from school because we hate Christian references."

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    This isn't even political correctness, it is "remove a Christian reference from school because we hate Christian references."
    Oddly enough, the first time I saw a so-called politically correct holiday re-naming was when my daughter's school removed the reference to Halloween and used "Fall Festival" in its place.

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    This says a lot about the education of teachers in Seattle. An egg is not a sphere.
    Why do they call it Ovaltine? The jar isn't oval. It should be called "Roundtine".

Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    Oddly enough, the first time I saw a so-called politically correct holiday re-naming was when my daughter's school removed the reference to Halloween and used "Fall Festival" in its place.
    Regardless, don't change the opinion I have as to why this one was renamed.

C. S. Lewis