Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    what I find ironic is that Christians are getting upset over something that is very plainly a Pagan symbol (along with rabbits) at a time that has nothing to do with fertility.
    THIS Christian isn't upset at all from his Christian perpective. THIS Christian is upset as an AMERICAN that we go to extremes with respect to political "correctness.":mad:
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    THIS Christian isn't upset at all from his Christian perpective. THIS Christian is upset as an AMERICAN that we go to extremes with respect to political "correctness.":mad:
    don't get me wrong, I agree with you on the PC bullshit, I just find it funny that Christians get upset about pagan symbols like the "easter bunny" and such that have nothing to do with Christ.

what I find ironic is that Christians are getting upset over something that is very plainly a Pagan symbol (along with rabbits) at a time that has nothing to do with fertility.
    The stories behind some Christian symbols are interesting. Take for example
    For some years now, artists have appealed to the Eastern tradition that tells us of Mary Magdalene's journey to Rome after the Ascension. After describing how poorly Pilate had administered justice at Jesus' trial, she told Caesar that Jesus had risen from the dead. To help explain his resurrection she picked up an egg from the dinner table. Caesar responded that a human being could no more rise from the dead than the egg in her hand turn red. The egg turned red immediately, which is why red eggs have been exchanged at Easter for centuries in the Byzantine East. Imagery of Mary Magdalene holding an egg, sometimes red, sometimes white, now dominate her iconography, and have given rise to many fine works of art.
    Story found here

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    The stories behind some Christian symbols are interesting. Take for example

Story found here
    yeah, stories that were probably used to legitimize customs that were already well in place. most non-biblical symbols have been legitimized that way. And the symbols didn't just come from Greek/Roman mythology but eastern religions as well, which would have been far more prevailing in Judea at the time.

http://www.christiananswers.net/q-eden/edn-t020.html
    The rabbit is well known as a sexual symbol of fertility. In various parts of the world, religions which developed from Babel also associate the rabbit with periodicity, both human and lunar (Egypt, China, etc.). As you may remember, the Mother Goddess Semiramis (Easter) is associated with the Moon. In other words, the Easter bunny symbolizes the Mother Goddess. Annual Spring time fertility rituals are associated worship of the Mother Goddess and Tammuz, the reincarnation of her husband Nimrod.

The Easter Egg

Most children and families who color or hide Easter eggs as part of their Resurrection Sunday tradition have no knowledge of the origin of these traditions. Easter egg activities have become a part of Western culture. Many would be surprised and even dismayed to learn where the traditions originated.

“The egg was a sacred symbol among the Babylonians. They believed an old fable about an egg of wondrous size which was supposed to have fallen from heaven into the Euphrates River. From this marvelous egg - according to the ancient story - the Goddess Astarte (Easter) [Semiramis], was hatched. And so the egg came to symbolize the Goddess Easter.”[11]

The idea of a mystic egg spread from Babylon to many parts of the world.[12] In Rome, the mystic egg preceded processions in honor of the Mother Goddess Roman. The egg was part of the sacred ceremonies of the Mysteries of Bacchus. The Druids used the egg as their sacred emblem. In Northern Europe, China and Japan the eggs were colored for their sacred festivals.[13]

The egg was also a symbol of fertility; Semiramis (Easter) was the goddess of Fertility. The Easter egg is a symbol of the pagan Mother Goddess, and it even bears one of her names.

don't get me wrong, I agree with you on the PC bullshit, I just find it funny that Christians get upset about pagan symbols like the "easter bunny" and such that have nothing to do with Christ.
    I must have missed the Christian uproar. I for one don't care for or support bunnies that have sex with chickens once a year. What I don't like is the secular society attacking Christian Holidays in general. If anything, I believe the Easter Egg idiocy was started by the secular school believing that they had to change the speech surrounding a perceived Christian tradition.

Real Christians don't beleive in the "Holy Easter Egg."
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    I must have missed the Christian uproar. I for one don't care for or support bunnies that have sex with chickens once a year. What I don't like is the secular society attacking Christian Holidays in general. If anything, I believe the Easter Egg idiocy was started by the secular school believing that they had to change the speech surrounding a perceived Christian tradition.

Real Christians don't beleive in the "Holy Easter Egg."
    I know what you're saying and agree with it. It's PC bullshit, and the joke is on the morons that think that they are pissing off Christians. My point was more about different symbols in general and just used the "Easter Bunny" as an example, people tend to get more upset about Christmas symbols than Easter anyway

I know what you're saying and agree with it. It's PC bullshit, and the joke is on the morons that think that they are pissing off Christians. My point was more about different symbols in general and just used the "Easter Bunny" as an example, people tend to get more upset about Christmas symbols than Easter anyway
    Which is interesting because Easter is the event that Jesus was born for. No Easter = no salvation.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Which is interesting because Easter is the event that Jesus was born for. No Easter = no salvation.
    if you mean that he came to fulfill the prophecies with his death and resurrection then yes, but not the "holiday" that we know as Easter, which is loosely based on the passover which more what he came to fulfill.

if you mean that he came to fulfill the prophecies with his death and resurrection then yes, but not the "holiday" that we know as Easter, which is loosely based on the passover which more what he came to fulfill.
    Christmas and Easter tend to be two holidays each. One for the secular world and the other for the Christian world.

To me, Sunday is Palm Sunday and the start of Holy Week. I'll attend a Maundy Thursday service, a Good Friday service a Sunrise Service on Easter Morning and the regular 10:40am service as well.

At least for some of us the rabbits and eggs are for the children to have fun with. I will create an Easter basket for Mary (my fiancee, not Jesus' mother) because she doesn't expect one. :)

C. S. Lewis

Christmas and Easter tend to be two holidays each. One for the secular world and the other for the Christian world.

To me, Sunday is Palm Sunday and the start of Holy Week. I'll attend a Maundy Thursday service, a Good Friday service a Sunrise Service on Easter Morning and the regular 10:40am service as well.

At least for some of us the rabbits and eggs are for the children to have fun with. I will create an Easter basket for Mary (my fiancee, not Jesus' mother) because she doesn't expect one. :)
    I'm not saying there isn't or shouldn't be fun it it, my in laws will be doing the same for my kids and my niece and nephew.'

as for services, we don't do any special services as a church, though i'm sure we'll do something focused on the resurrection on the Sabbath before