Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Barry Bonds found guilty of obstruction 
    Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar

The jury in the Barry Bonds convicted the seven-time MVP guilty of obstruction of justice, but the defense and prosecution agreed to a mistrial on the other three remaining counts. The judge, after speaking to the jury foreman, said she believes the mistrail is wise given that the jury believes it has done all it's can.

The jury is being brought back into the courtroom to read the verdict on the one count on which it agreed. The eight women and four men are returning the verdict after four days of deliberations. The jury has worked behind closed doors since rehearing some testimony early Monday.

Bonds is charged with three counts of lying to a grand jury in 2003 and one count of obstruction. Prosecutors allege that Bonds lied when he denied knowingly taking steroids and human growth hormone. A third count of making a false statement charges that Bonds lied when he said no one other than his doctor ever injected him with anything. The fourth count is obstruction of justice, which alleges that MLB's all-time home runs leader hindered the grand jury's sports doping investigation by lying.

Bonds' case is the culmination of a federal investigation that began in 2002 into the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative, which distributed performance-enhancing drugs to athletes.

LINK
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Banned
    This is just such a big waste of money and manpower to convict a baseball player of lying. Who cares. He is in all probability going to jail for a couple of years. Why the hell did Clinton beat a prison rap. If we arrested all the politicians in DC for lying, you would have very few left. Seems like the Justice Dept is f.....up.

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Shame too. He was such a nice guy....
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

As much as I hate Bonds, this was a complete waste of taxpayer money. Exactly why was congress involved in the first place? And where does it end? Do they investigate spitballs next? Corked bats? Stealing signs? Stupid. They'll convict this guy but let a child molester walk in a few years.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    As much as I hate Bonds, this was a complete waste of taxpayer money. Exactly why was congress involved in the first place? And where does it end? Do they investigate spitballs next? Corked bats? Stealing signs? Stupid. They'll convict this guy but let a child molester walk in a few years.
    You got that right. When I see congress wasting time on questioning athletes it makes me think of all the things they should be doing and arent.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    This is just such a big waste of money and manpower to convict a baseball player of lying. Who cares. He is in all probability going to jail for a couple of years. Why the hell did Clinton beat a prison rap. If we arrested all the politicians in DC for lying, you would have very few left. Seems like the Justice Dept is f.....up.
    bolded, agreed

I am a baseball fan. I can stomach other sports but actually like baseball.

Nail this fucker to the wall.

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    I am a baseball fan. I can stomach other sports but actually like baseball.

Nail this fucker to the wall.
    Why him and not all the others? What about the players in the 60's & 70's who have admitted popping amphetamines like sunflower seeds? Or the cocaine abusers from the 70's & 80's? Where does one draw the line?
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
    Why him and not all the others? What about the players in the 60's & 70's who have admitted popping amphetamines like sunflower seeds? Or the cocaine abusers from the 70's & 80's? Where does one draw the line?
    On the other side of Barry Bonds.

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    On the other side of Barry Bonds.
    Heh.:D
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand