Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Nancy Pelosi fades as power player 
    Nancy Pelosi fades as power player

By JONATHAN ALLEN | 4/14/11 4:35 AM EDT Updated: 4/14/11 9:15 AM EDT

During the past election season, Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) could have starred in a remake of the Hollywood cult classic “Attack of the 50-Foot Woman.” In an endless string of campaign ads, Republicans caricatured her — even put her image on billboards — as a political monster.

But now, the former House speaker more closely resembles “The Incredible Shrinking Woman.”

Her diminished stature has affected the way she is perceived in Washington’s power game and the way she handles her duties as head of the House Democratic minority. It all adds up to this: At times, the once-omnipresent Pelosi seems practically invisible in the Capitol.

When President Barack Obama, Speaker John Boehner and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid hammered out a deal last week to avert a shutdown and fund the government for the rest of the year, Pelosi was delivering a speech at Tufts University near Boston.

But her hands would have been idle if she had stayed in Washington: The White House didn’t want her involved in the talks.

In fact, Democratic and Republican sources tell POLITICO, none of the power brokers wanted her in the room. They feared that her presence and her defense of liberal values would have made it impossible for Obama to cut a deal with Boehner. The sources say Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky also was excluded so the White House could justify keeping Pelosi out.

Boehner, more or less, had McConnell’s proxy in negotiating with Senate Democrats and the White House.

Pelosi’s shutout from the biggest deal so far this year is a remarkable comedown for a former speaker who drove the legislative process in the past Congress. Some Democrats also say they’re steamed at the White House for mistreating Pelosi after she delivered the president’s legislative agenda in the past Congress and took lumps for him on the campaign trail. A Pelosi aide insists that during the budget negotiations, “she made it clear to all parties that there was a willingness on the part of House Democrats to work to keep government open.”
    Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories...#ixzz1JVreJxtt

When the dems lost the majority in November, they should have replaced her as their leader in the House. I don't understand why they didn't, there are better people than her available in the dem party.

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    When the dems lost the majority in November, they should have replaced her as their leader in the House. I don't understand why they didn't, there are better people than her available in the dem party.
    Every party needs a fresh face to be the leader after a while. And I think she definitely needed to be replaced for that reason.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Paul Ryan is easily filling the void and then some, hell he's over taking Boehner and all the other Republican's.

That was true before the GOP took over. She was an idiot before, nothing has changed.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
    Every party needs a fresh face to be the leader after a while. And I think she definitely needed to be replaced for that reason.
    :D

You're bad.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
    Yep and the axe is going to fall on Boehner in 2012 whether the Repubs win, lose or draw. He just don't know it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    That was true before the GOP took over. She was an idiot before, nothing has changed.

I agree that she was a problem for a while, but the election loss should have been the clincher for the DNC to realize they need a change.

I agree that she was a problem for a while, but the election loss should have been the clincher for the DNC to realize they need a change.
    They couldn't dare dis The First Woman Speaker™ by voting her out. That would be entirely too politically incorrect.

You sexist!
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

[youtube]EnHiN6Pwwos[/youtube]

[youtube]8V37u82xSH8[/youtube]
    Liberals: Obama's useful Idiots