1. #1 My (very slimming) week as a 50s housewife 
    My (very slimming) week as a 50s housewife. Amanda Cable loses weight and finds inner peace.

By Amanda Cable
    Last updated at 11:40 AM on 12th April 2011

Scientists say Fifties housewives consumed far fewer calories and were much fitter and healthier than modern women.

We asked writer Amanda Cable to spend five days as a housewife in still-rationed 1953 and keep a diary.

MONDAY

My day begins at 7am with a bloodcurdling scream. My children have discovered I have confiscated their phones and gadgets. They storm into my room but stop dead at the sight of me in a tight-waisted cotton dress, and applying full make-up and red lipstick.

Back in the Fifties, few households had a car. So it will mean a bus ride and a 15-minute each-way walk to Charlie and Archie’s primary school, two miles from our house.

Women in 1953 consumed just 1,818 calories a day, but their busy lives helped them burn off 1,000 calories. Today’s women consume 2,178 calories and burn off just 556.

As a result, obesity 60 years ago was a rare thing — something I remind myself as I carry two swimming bags and a bassoon to the bus.

Normally, my drive to school takes just five minutes. Today the return journey takes more than an hour.

I usually like to relax when back from the school run by reading a bit of online news. But computers are banned, and I’ve no time to waste.

In my hand is a 1950s Good Housekeeping plan of work for ‘a small servantless house’, and what an unforgiving tome it is. Each task is illustrated by a cartoon Fifties housewife effortlessly completing her duties. Within minutes I am red-faced, perspiring and wheezing.

I have just time to eat a boiled egg for lunch, before setting off once more on foot, this time to the shops. In 1953, less than one in ten households owned a fridge, so I have to buy the ingredients fresh each day.

I walk ten minutes into Blackheath village to buy meat from the butchers, fruit from the grocers and milk. There’s only time left to walk swiftly home before I catch the bus once more to pick up the twins.

Normally, when the boys get home from school, they immediately switch on the TV. Today, they go and play football outside. For their supper I settle for grilled gammon, topped with pineapple and served with cauliflower.

Ruby looks utterly lost without Facebook or texting. I give her the Crackerjack Book for Girls and to my surprise I later find her deeply engrossed in it.

When Ray gets home from work, there’s no television for us to slump in front of. Instead, with the children asleep, we listen quietly to the radio and talk.

Exhausted, I’m in bed by 9.30pm.
    Interesting - read the whole thing. From photographs, I seriously doubt that the average woman did her housework in heels (slippers seem to make a frequent appearance in old family pix) but the article is very interesting.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...#ixzz1JWhHhjhg

I was a child in 1953.

I read The Weekly Reader and Children's Digest. I lived for The Weekly Reader, and one time I read about a man who was flying a hydrofoil and flipped it at high speed. There were photographs................many years later (1970), I was selected to be co-pilot of Plainview, which was the world's largest hydrofoil. The man who indoctrinated me was the man I read about in 1953.

The quiet world of words and self generated interests paid big dividends for us 50s kids. We played baseball all day during the summer; read under trees; went Christmas Caroling; walked to town; could ride our bikes no-handed all over town; but couldn't go swimming because of polio. Any cop in town could stop you and ask you The Question: "Who's your Daddy, Son." And you had to tell him, too!

I like it better back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I seriously doubt that the average woman did her housework in heels...
    She did if she wanted that new iron she had her eye on.
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

"The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

Doubtful. Most women ran the family budget. ;)

Doubtful. Most women ran the family budget. ;)
    Adding machines were expensive and men had pipes to smoke and newspapers to read in their special chairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    Adding machines were expensive and men had pipes to smoke and newspapers to read in their special chairs.
    Luckily, pencils and scrap paper were cheap. :p

Luckily, pencils and scrap paper were cheap. :p
    So were the women. :p