Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Lowering the voting age to 16? 
    http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=389x6863536
    Progressivism (57 posts) Mon Oct-26-09 10:05 PM
    Original message
    Do you agree with Dennis Kucinich's advocation for lowering the voting age to 16?
    Here's a website for background information .
    http://www.idebate.org/discussion/view_topic.php?id=850...

I am a fourteen year old High School Freshman and I agree with Congressman Kucinich.
    This explains a lot! DU allows fourteen year olds to post.

Boy wouldn't that bolster the Democratic base! Kids are stupid until about 25, myself included, and they have no business voting, even at 18. I think they should have to wait until they can show their name on a lease or a mortgage in order for society to be assured that they know the value of the dollar.. A dopey college kid having all expenses paid by mama and daddy can inflict some serious damage to our country with their uninformed, uneducated vote.
    Obama-if you're being run out of town, get out in front and pretend that it's a parade!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stsinner View Post
    Boy wouldn't that bolster the Democratic base! Kids are stupid until about 25, myself included, and they have no business voting, even at 18. I think they should have to wait until they can show their name on a lease or a mortgage in order for society to be assured that they know the value of the dollar.. A dopey college kid having all expenses paid by mama and daddy can inflict some serious damage to our country with their uninformed, uneducated vote.
    The founding fathers intended that you be a land owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    The founding fathers intended that you be a land owner.
    Those right-wing radical nuts!!!!
    Obama-if you're being run out of town, get out in front and pretend that it's a parade!!!

Vickers (1000+ posts) Mon Oct-26-09 11:20 PM
    Response to Original message
    17. Hell yeah!
    Every teenager I know (including my own) would vote a straight Democratic ticket. They haven't let the cynicism and fear tear out their soul (yet).
    In other words, Dems are basically just children.

Quote Originally Posted by stsinner View Post
    I think they should have to wait until they can show their name on a lease or a mortgage in order for society to be assured that they know the value of the dollar.
    You're way too nice, man.

If I had my way, you'd have to show photo ID, recent urinalysis results, and prove you've been off all welfare programs for at least 6 months before you were even let into the booth. You would then have to pass a brief political quiz on your ballot to have your vote even tallied.

I can't help but sneer when I hear people talk about how we can encourage more people to vote. The problem in America is that too many people are voting already.
    Last edited by Troll; 10-28-2009 at 05:55 PM.
    Nothing helps a bad mood like spreading it around.

Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post
    You're way too nice, man.

If I had my way, you'd have to show photo ID, recent urinalysis results, and prove you've been off all welfare programs for at least 6 months before you were even let into the booth. You would then have to pass a brief political quiz on your ballot to have your vote even tallied.

I can't help but sneer when I hear people talk about how we can encourage more people to vote. The problem in America is that too many people are voting already.
    Man, I like the way you think sometimes.. There's nothing in your post that I disagree with, but when our pussy-ass politicians won't even allow us to make photo ID mandatory, the rest is fantasy.. It's beyond me that you need a photo ID to get a job, but you don't need one to vote!! Absolutely asinine..

ugh. The last thing we need is more people voting.
    ... certain forms of ammunition have no legitimate sporting, recreational, or self-defense use and thus should be prohibited. Such action is long overdue.

- Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by FeebMaster View Post
    ugh. The last thing we need is more people voting.
    Agreed! Those Get Out The Vote and Rock The Vote campaigns piss me off, because they only rile the ignorant!!!
    Obama's election proved this very clearly.

I was surprised they let 14 year olds post over there. Only one reply mentioned it. I don't think we do that here.