Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 U.S. Parents Run Out Of Speed For Kiddies 
    Shortage of ADHD drugs sends parents scrambling
    Manufacturing delays, heavy demand for Adderall, Ritalin could have serious consequences

Molly Taylor, 46, of Worcester, Mass., was turned away empty-handed this week when she went to pick up prescriptions of Adderall XR for herself and her 16-year-old son, Luke.

“They don’t have them,” an incredulous Taylor told msnbc.com. “You could be waiting several days, which would have a HUGE impact. If you can’t get it that day, it’s very, very difficult.”

In the past two weeks, federal Food and Drug Administration officials added the drugs methylphenidate hydrochloride and amphetamine mixed salts, the generic names for Ritalin and Adderall, to an expanding list of national drug shortages. Some distributors cite manufacturing delays and increased demand as the reasons; others offer no explanation for the shortages.

But the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists, which tracks drug supply issues, has listed the products in short supply for nearly a month, and there have been regional reports of spotty shortages even before that.
    MSNBC

Wow. Looks like some parents will have to resort to, well, parenting now.

They make it in their back yards around here.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    I feel bad for the people who generally need it, the people that are taking it simply because they don't want to deal with healthy kids can learn to deal with them

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    I feel bad for the people who generally need it, the people that are taking it simply because they don't want to deal with healthy kids can learn to deal with them

Little League and Scouting are much cheaper than Adderall or Ritalin, for the second category of kids.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Little League and Scouting are much cheaper than Adderall or Ritalin, for the second category of kids.
    They would be if the parents actually paid for the drugs themselves out of pocket.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Power CUer
    As PJ O'Rourke diagnosed: "Hyperactivity is an affliction that affects one out of every one modern child." :p
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar

And that second category is FAR larger than the first.
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.

Banned
    You hit the nail on the head. Giving kids that shit was unheard of when I was a kid. Of course, you have so many loser parents that turn their kids into loser kids.

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    You hit the nail on the head. Giving kids that shit was unheard of when I was a kid. Of course, you have so many loser parents that turn their kids into loser kids.

When I was a delinquency worker, a lot of the boys I worked with who were petty criminals, but had a history of ADHD and being medicated for it did very well in the military after leaving our system. The military can teach them how to channel all that excess energy into something constructive.