Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap1 View Post
    That was a book? I have managed to avoid the movie for years. Sally Field makes me wince.

I read the book before I saw the movie (which I hated). I love Tom Hanks but "Life is like a box of chocolates" sounds ridiculous. Almost as bad as "Love means never having to say you're sorry".

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post

I read the book before I saw the movie (which I hated). I love Tom Hanks but "Life is like a box of chocolates" sounds ridiculous. Almost as bad as "Love means never having to say you're sorry".
    The Algore book/movie!!! :eek: :D

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post

I still watch Forrest Gump whenever it's on. I love that movie.:o
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    We're going to pretend you didn't say that.

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    BAN HER!!!

Vepr
    The last time I put down a book was in junior high. I cannot remember the name of the book but it was about a fishing crew. The book got you really attached to the characters and then all of them die. I could not bring myself to read the last chapter (No it was not the perfect storm book).

Right now I am back to reading science fiction books. Right now I am reading the Gaunts Ghosts series. Grim warfare in the future as humans struggle to fend off various alien races and also struggle against their own oppresive regime. It is actually a decent series and I will always have a soft spot for science fiction and fantasy like The Hobbit etc.

I simply don't enjoy reading novels. I like a good story but, based upon the type of reading that I have done throughout my life, novels just become too laborious to enjoy. I'm used to reading scientific/technical papers, articles, and books. You have to thoroughly understand every phrase within a sentence before you move onto the next or the whole thing will not make much sense and you have to backtrack. This has been my style of reading for so long that I cannot shut it off for a novel. Since the novel is so laborious to read and isn't providing me with any truly tangible benefit of knowledge, I find it a waste of time. Since they usually aren't too long, news articles are OK.

To each their own, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by CLibertarian View Post
    I simply don't enjoy reading novels. I like a good story but, based upon the type of reading that I have done throughout my life, novels just become too laborious to enjoy. I'm used to reading scientific/technical papers, articles, and books. You have to thoroughly understand every phrase within a sentence before you move onto the next or the whole thing will not make much sense and you have to backtrack. This has been my style of reading for so long that I cannot shut it off for a novel. Since the novel is so laborious to read and isn't providing me with any truly tangible benefit of knowledge, I find it a waste of time. Since they usually aren't too long, news articles are OK.

To each their own, I guess.
    Interesting point! I write research stuff and do technical writing. I find that I have to sort of switch off for novel reading. Even then, I backtrack a lot.

I liked the movie, also...haven't seen it for years. I read the book afterward, it totally sucked.

One very popular author I could never read is Robert Jordan. I don't know why, his books just don't "click" anywhere. They put me to sleep faster than a theology textbook. :o
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap1 View Post
    I like Koontz but I can't make it through that book! I've tried maybe 5 times now. I don't even know what the problem is with it.
    I actually finished that one - it was just ok. I like the Odd Thomas books, I'm working on the new one now. I hated Next by Michael Chriten (spelled wrong, I know) which was odd because I usually like his books.

Edit: I read Forrest Gump, it was just ok. I remember liking another book by Winston Groom - Better Times than These - but it's been years and years since I read it so I may not like it now.

I read a lot of poetry, but I can't stand really long poems. Just say what you're going to say and be done with it already!
    They're not people, they're hippies!! -Cartman

It is nothing against you to fall down flat, but to lie there - that's disgrace