Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Harry Potter, I could not get through any of the Harry Potter books, and I am normally a Scifi/Fantasy type guy. Of late more military Scifi.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Rick View Post
    Harry Potter, I could not get through any of the Harry Potter books, and I am normally a Scifi/Fantasy type guy. Of late more military Scifi.
    Wow, really....you didn't like HP? I suppose. I haven't read ALL of them yet...but I will (have the last 2 to go). I am not a HP fanatic like some, but enjoy the stories. I don't read much SF/Fantasy but need to read Tolkien's LotR series, of course. I like Dune and Donaldson's Thomas Covenant series. And of course, Robert E. Howard's original Conan books.
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

You didn't like Harry Potter?

I don't read any fantasy, Sci Fi at all. I HATED LOTR although I slodged through the Hobbit. But I really enjoyed HP.

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
    You didn't like Harry Potter?

I don't read any fantasy, Sci Fi at all. I HATED LOTR although I slodged through the Hobbit. But I really enjoyed HP.
    I did read The Hobbit (a LONG time ago) and while I appreciated the general story, I REALLY couldn't stand all the silly songs...seemed a bit childish, to me.
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

noonwitch
    I've tried to read Love In The Time Of Cholera, and just can't get beyond the first few pages.

I have hated Wuthering Heights ever since my AP lit class in high school.

I like Toni Morrison and Alice Walker, though, or at least one book by each. I had to read TM's Tarbaby for a college lit class, and enjoyed it. The Color Purple is a really good novel, but I think the movie is better, in some ways, because Spielburg made it so.

Patent Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vepr View Post
    Right now I am back to reading science fiction books. Right now I am reading the Gaunts Ghosts series. Grim warfare in the future as humans struggle to fend off various alien races and also struggle against their own oppresive regime. It is actually a decent series and I will always have a soft spot for science fiction and fantasy like The Hobbit etc.
    Heh, with a Black Templar avatar, I'm not surprised. I read through the recent Horus Heresy series, and it pretty much revitalized my hatred for the Imperium. Decent books, obviously geared to highlight the greatness of the Emperor, but very heavy on the pulp. Oh, and Descent of Angels is probably the most forshadow driven book ever.

I just finished the Chronicals of Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever. Good, but pales in comparison to other pure fantasy. Just started Innocent Mage, and so far it is pretty good.

As for books I've put down, they are fairly few and far between. Cujo was one, I just couldn't get involved. That pretty much ended my literary experience with Steven King. I just can't manage to pick up another book without feeling like I'm starting a marathon.

Sonnabend
    I did read The Hobbit (a LONG time ago) and while I appreciated the general story, I REALLY couldn't stand all the silly songs...seemed a bit childish, to me.
    Thats because it was written for children, you muddleheaded wombat. :p

LOTR was written for adults.

Who do I detest? Apart from Noam Chumpsky and his ilk...hmmm...any book with a blurb that starts "xxx..an ex CIA agent.." goes back on the shelf. I cant abide Mills and Boon or those sordid doctor / nurse romances...ew.

Stephen King was good once..now he's just another moonbat. Dean Kopopntz....slow to get into and takes forever to get to the point , John Saul...they all come back to "ancient evil"...booring. Robin Cook..conspiracies galore..yawn. Read one, read em all.....Virginia Andrews, blech.

Tried to read the Wheel of Time books..after the first I realised what we had was not a labour of love but more a love of labour...no thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Rick View Post
    Eeek! You didn't like HP? I love those books; I've lost count of how many times I've read them.

One book I really want/wanted to read is "All Quiet on the Western Front." I've started it several times but can never seem to get through it.
    They're not people, they're hippies!! -Cartman

It is nothing against you to fall down flat, but to lie there - that's disgrace

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Junebug68 View Post
    One book I really want/wanted to read is "All Quiet on the Western Front." I've started it several times but can never seem to get through it.
    I read that one every few years - very carefully, because my copy is the first American edition. Try the film version, with Lew Ayres (1930).