Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Green Thumb Wednesday! 
    It's dreary out and cold today. The outlook is for chilly temps the rest of the week.

TOTD: Despite all that - what will you grow this year? It doesn't matter if you're putting in an acre for canning or just popping a tomato into a crazy upside-down hanger - tell us what you're planting this spring and why. This isn't restricted to veggies. Flowers, trees, and shrubs are fair game as is hardscape or other dramatic yard improvements.

We've almost finished replacing the front fence! The former owners had installed a cheap, white picket fence that started to peel by the second year. By "cheap" I mean that the slats for this puppy were essentially 1/4 inch thick. We've taken that down and replaced it with a white vinyl fence that looks like this:

We only have 3 more sections to do. These are the roses (probably) that I'm going to plant against it:

Power CUer
    Last year's parsley is coming up again in the kitchen garden. I'll add some other herbs, and maybe some flowers this year, and leave it at that. The rest of the yard takes care of itself.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

I planted some corn and greenbeans (it was SUPPOSED to be a project with the kids) and I know my wife planted some herbs with them, I'm not sure what although I'm pretty sure basil and cilantro are part of it.

Gonna do some flowers too, probably this weekend, but don't know what kind yet.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Last year's parsley is coming up again in the kitchen garden. I'll add some other herbs, and maybe some flowers this year, and leave it at that. The rest of the yard takes care of itself.
    What kind of flowers? In beds or pots? Grow some rosemary. It looks great, it won't take over the way sage does, and it stays attractive when you bring it inside for the winter. :)

Power CUer
    Rosemary can winter over outside where I am, but we've gotten huge snow dumps that have killed it in the last couple of years. Whenever I bring it inside it dies immediately.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

NICE job on the fence!:)

It is a gorgeous warm day here, Spring has really sprung in the garden. I'm growing my old favourites this year, tomatoes, peppers beans and peas. The perennial fruit raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, cherries and pears and a mini olive tree are all looking healthy (I have yet to get a pear off my miniature pear tree but I live in hope. This year I have grown/am growing kale, broccoli chard, leeks and shallots, the herbs are looking a bit shabby. The oregano has gone wild and the sage and fennel needs a severe pruning, but the chives survived the winter as of course did the rosemary which I think is indestructible. I am trying again with rhubarb (which has died on me the last three years) and later in the year I'll be putting out the melon and cucumber seedlings.

I have also planted some saffron crocus bulbs which may or may not flower, but if they do then I'll have all the saffron I would need for a year if not longer.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    we've got a couple raised box beds, but my wife hasn't done anything yet to them, been thinking of throwing some squash seeds out on the ground and see how they do in the back, problem is that the park mows back there and they wouldn't go far if thats the case, might put them around the satellite dish instead

Quote Originally Posted by bijou View Post
    I have also planted some saffron crocus bulbs which may or may not flower, but if they do then I'll have all the saffron I would need for a year if not longer.
    You will love the saffron! I grow those crocuses and I now use a pretty free hand with the saffron. ;)

If the dry Spring continues, I will be planting grass.