Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Sweet or sour? Kids losing their taste 
    Some children aged between eight and 12 are losing their taste buds, which is contributing to childhood obesity.

Study author David Laing, professor of neuropsychology at the University of New South Wales, said taste disorders could be a contributing factor to the rising epidemic of chi
    ldhood obesity.

The prevalence of taste disorders could be three times above the level defined by the World Health Organization (WHO) as a major public health crisis.

New South Wales researchers found 10 percent of children aged between eight and 12 years could not correctly identify a taste as sweet, salty, bitter or sour, the journal Acta Paediatrica reports.

“The World Health Organisation defines a taste disorder prevalence of greater than four percent in a population as a massive public health problem," said Laing, according to a New South Wales statement. ...
    http://www.hindustantimes.com/Sweet-...e1-687117.aspx

You would have thought that lacking taste food would be less attractive. Anyway I am sure taste disorder will become the next fashionable syndrome.

It's all in how you season them. Pretty much all children taste just like chicken anyway.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Wood View Post
    It's all in how you season them. Pretty much all children taste just like chicken anyway.
    LMAO!

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    what doesn't taste like chicken?

Fabulous Poster
    Normally my first response is "bullshit" whenever it's suddenly discovered that a huge percentage of the population has some sort of disorder. I'm still not convinced that this taste disorder doesn't come from an endless succor of chemical stimulants like Super Sour Gummy Worms and the heavily sweetened sugarless gums.

It does fit well with the thread on kids taking their lunch to school, as the principal complained that the kids brought "a can of soda and fire hot chips". When I was a kid, I couldn't stand spicy food. The peppercorn in salami was more than I cared for. My mom would make a separate casserole for the kids with no pepper and no onions.

We got to have candy about twice a week when I was a kid. None of it was "sour" , it was always Hershey Bar or Bonamo Turkish Taffy. We also got a little lollipop at the bank and a tootsie roll miniature at the insurance office. We only got to eat McDonald's on trips, because the nearest one was a hundred miles away. Thursday was hot dog day at school, otherwise it was baloney sandwich day.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Normally my first response is "bullshit" whenever it's suddenly discovered that a huge percentage of the population has some sort of disorder. I'm still not convinced that this taste disorder doesn't come from an endless succor of chemical stimulants like Super Sour Gummy Worms and the heavily sweetened sugarless gums.
    It does fit well with the thread on kids taking their lunch to school, as the principal complained that the kids brought "a can of soda and fire hot chips". When I was a kid, I couldn't stand spicy food. The peppercorn in salami was more than I cared for. My mom would make a separate casserole for the kids with no pepper and no onions.

We got to have candy about twice a week when I was a kid. None of it was "sour" , it was always Hershey Bar or Bonamo Turkish Taffy. We also got a little lollipop at the bank and a tootsie roll miniature at the insurance office. We only got to eat McDonald's on trips, because the nearest one was a hundred miles away. Thursday was hot dog day at school, otherwise it was baloney sandwich day.
    That was my thought. The artificial sweet and sour is so overwhelming in their diet today I'm not certain how they can possibly taste the sourness of a pickle or the sweetness of an apple.

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    Chicken.

We got to have candy about twice a week when I was a kid. None of it was "sour" , it was always Hershey Bar or Bonamo Turkish Taffy.
    I haven't seen this stuff in centuries. Is it still around?
    Last edited by NJCardFan; 04-20-2011 at 04:23 PM.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

venison
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.

I think the much stronger flavors might be a reason but I wonder if contemporary kids just haven't been exposed to "bitter" or if they think "salty" is neutral. Maybe they don't have the vocabulary anymore to name what they taste.

chicken?;)
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.