1. #1 Oscar Nominated Documentary Filmmaker And Photographer Killed In Libya 

UPDATE: Both the AP and the AFP are confirming Tim Hetherington and Chris Hondros were killed in Libya earlier today.

UPDATE 2: Vanity Fair tweets Hondros "remains in grave condition."

UPDATE 3: The New York Times correspondent C.J. Chivers published the following:

"Tim Hetherington, the Oscar-nominated film director and conflict photographer who produced the film Restrepo, was killed in the besieged city of Misurata on Wednesday, and three photographers working beside him were wounded."

"The wounds to two of the photographers -- Chris Hondros and Guy Martin -- were grave, according to a colleague at the triage center where they were being treated Wednesday night. Their prospects for survival were not immediately clear."

Previously:

This is terrible news.

But there are reports that photographers Tim Hetherington and Chris Hondros have been killed in Libya.
    The news was first posted on fellow photographer Andre Liohn's Facebook page. Liohn is reportedly at the hospital and later updated his status in the comments to say that Hondros has died.

Hetherington was nominated for a Oscar this year for the documentary Restrepo which he co-directed with journalist Sebastian Junger.

Chris Hondros is a Pulitzer-Prize nominated war photographer whose work has appeared in the NYT, Newsweek, and The Economist, to name a few.

The two were reportedly covering the fighting in Misrata. Yesterday Hetherington tweeted: "In besieged Libyan city of Misrata. Indiscriminate shelling by Qaddafi forces. No sign of NATO."

More details to come when we have them.

http://www.businessinsider.com/tim-h...estrepo-2011-4
    Last edited by txradioguy; 04-20-2011 at 02:47 PM.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Banned
    Pretty awful, but a risk these guys assume when they report in a war zone.

Quote Originally Posted by KhrushchevsShoe View Post
    Pretty awful, but a risk these guys assume when they report in a war zone.
    I agree. Haven't seen the movie yet that he made "Restrepo"...but a friend of mine that is over here is in it.

I read the Vanity Fair article on what this guy and Sebastian Junger went through in the Korengal Valley making that movie. Libya must have seemed tame compared to that.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

eagleexpress
    I saw it on the news very very sad

Sonnabend
    He didnt just sit and read and print the usual crap, he got in there with them to see the reality.

More than one "journalist" could learn from his example. I am sorry he is gone, and he knew the risks.

He did it anyway.

A brave man.