Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Gary Johnson announces presidential bid 
    Gary Johnson announces presidential bid, plans to ski Tuckerman Ravine

3 hours, 52 minutes ago

CONCORD – Former New Mexico Gov. Gary Johnson said Thursday he is seeking the 2012 Republican nomination for President of the United States.

Johnson, who served as governor from 1995 to 2003, made the announcement on the steps of the New Hampshire State House.

"Our leaders in Washington, DC, have ‘led’ America to record unemployment, a devalued currency, banking scandals, the mortgage crisis, drug crisis, economic crisis, loss of our nation’s industrial might — and a long list of other reminders our nation is way off course," Johnson said.

"Why am I telling you this? Because America is better than this. And because I can help fix it. I’m a fix-it man," he said.

Johnson, 58, said during two terms as New Mexico governor, he eliminated the state’s budget deficit and cut the rate of state government growth in half while reducing the state workforce by more than 10 percent without laying off a single qualified state worker.

"I was called ‘Governor Veto,’ and accepted that nickname proudly," he said.

Johnson will spend three days in New Hampshire, including hiking and skiing Tuckerman's Ravine in the White Mountains on Saturday, April 23.
    Union Leader

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    interesting...if he's less of a kook than Paul, than he might get my vote

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    interesting...if he's less of a kook than Paul, than he might get my vote

He endorsed Dr. Nutz for President in 2008.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    He endorsed Dr. Nutz for President in 2008.
    well, just because he endorsed Paul, doesn't mean he's as nutz or politically toxic, plus he has run a state where all Paul has done is sit in DC in as a member of a safe district for the last 20ish years

I can tell you a little about him, seeing as he's from my state. He served two terms as governor (term limited) and left office with a 65% approval rating.

He left NM with nearly 400 million in surplus which Richardson quickly spent and vetoed every tax bill that crossed his desk.

He's more Libertarian than Republican, favors legalizing marijuana and although not exactly pro abortion does favor a woman's right to choose. He's anti tax and very pro gun. As governor, he vetoed what might be a NM record 750 bills and literally cut state govt by over 10%. The downside, to me, is his stance on legalizing marijuana.

He's a millionaire but got there on his own. He began with a one man handyman type business in Albuquerque and over the years built a construction company employing over a thousand people.

Here's his website. I'm not in favor of everything he stands for, but no candidate is going to be 100% of what everyone wants. Compared to the Magic Negro, Johnson is a breath of fresh air.

http://www.garyjohnson2012.com/
    Last edited by Chuck58; 04-22-2011 at 02:16 PM.
    The poster formerly known as chuck58 on the old board.

If he can bring Trump's no holds barred style of public presentation and is for strong borders , I'll support him.

I'm not voting for a pussy. You can HAVE one, but you can't be one.

~QC
    "The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is hard business. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." Rudyard Kipling - (1865-1936)

Context doesn't matter to this liberal it seems/ as long as it satisfies his godless dreams/ like monkeys throwing sh!t as castles in air/ as long as he throws/that is the extent of his care.

Quote Originally Posted by CueSi View Post
    If he can bring Trump's no holds barred style of public presentation and is for strong borders , I'll support him.

I'm not voting for a pussy. You can HAVE one, but you can't be one.

~QC
    I don't know his stance on illegal aliens. I've been going over his website but haven't found anything about it yet. I do have a hunch that, being more libertarian than Republican, I'm apt not to like what he advocates. Personally, in regards illegals, I favor lethal force to stop them.
    The poster formerly known as chuck58 on the old board.

From his issues page:

A recent Gallup poll reports that 46% of Americans now agree that marijuana should be legalized, a dramatic increase in support that reflects Americans' increased knowledge and understanding of the issue. Proposals to regulate marijuana similarly to alcohol have been considered in several states, and Governor Johnson has supported those efforts; he believes the federal government should end its prohibition mandate and allow each state to pursue its own desired policy.
    Now that I can go for.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

Wanting to legalize marijuana, or at least to get the Federal Government out of it, and end it's stupid, expensive, and ineffective war on drugs, is a big plus to me.

I've been hope Gary would declare. Now that he has, I hope Ron Paul drops and puts all of his support behind Johnson. Johnson is simply a better candidate.

The border issue is going to be decisive for me. Legalization of marijuana and welare reform to keep illegals from receiving it would help ease a lot o the pressure on our border in the long run. That's one part of a long term solution. However, if Gary is like Paul, and thinks that welfare reforms and the end of the War on Drugs are the only steps necessary, I don't think I can support him.

Sure we can remove the incentives illegals have or coming here illegally, and that will slow the tide eventually. But removing these incentives is going to take time, and something needs to be done in the meantime. However, I don't think spending a bunch of money on a fence is the right thing to do either.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by malloc View Post
    Wanting to legalize marijuana, or at least to get the Federal Government out of it, and end it's stupid, expensive, and ineffective war on drugs, is a big plus to me.
    I feel the same way. So far I'm like what he got, though would like to know more on his stance on illegal aliens and boarder security