Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    I feel the same way. So far I'm like what he got, though would like to know more on his stance on illegal aliens and boarder security
    Found this on Hotair.com.....This is the complete article.

Johnson’s belief that government should do less, not more, applies to immigration as well. Although he says “we shouldn’t stop what we’re currently doing” to secure the border, Johnson rejects the idea of building a fence or deploying the National Guard as “a whole lot of money spent” without much effect. Instead, he thinks, we should create “an easy way to come across the border documented.” He defends Bush’s botched immigration package — “amnesty is not citizenship,” he reminds us — and warns against the “vilification of foreigners.” Comparing worries about illegal immigration to Cold War–era red-baiting, Johnson dubs immigrants “the new Russia.”…

On foreign policy, Johnson is a noninterventionist. He opposed the Iraq War from the start and believes we have stayed in Afghanistan too long. We went into the latter country to root out al-Qaeda, but “they’re not there anymore,” Johnson argues. On the home front, he thinks Pres. George W. Bush went too far. “I’d like to think I would have said no to the Patriot Act,” he says, but as a governor he didn’t have to take a stand.
    I'd say that what he isn't saying is that he's pro amnesty and pro open borders. I like him in most other respects, but I absolutely don't like what he says above in his stance on illegals.
    The poster formerly known as chuck58 on the old board.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Eliminate needless barriers to free trade and make it easier for would-be legal immigrants to apply for work visas.
    found this...looks like he's against illegal aliens

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck58 View Post

Johnson’s belief that government should do less, not more, applies to immigration as well. Although he says “we shouldn’t stop what we’re currently doing” to secure the border, Johnson rejects the idea of building a fence or deploying the National Guard as “a whole lot of money spent” without much effect. Instead, he thinks, we should create “an easy way to come across the border documented.” He defends Bush’s botched immigration package — “amnesty is not citizenship,” he reminds us — and warns against the “vilification of foreigners.” Comparing worries about illegal immigration to Cold War–era red-baiting, Johnson dubs immigrants “the new Russia.”…

On foreign policy, Johnson is a noninterventionist. He opposed the Iraq War from the start and believes we have stayed in Afghanistan too long. We went into the latter country to root out al-Qaeda, but “they’re not there anymore,” Johnson argues. On the home front, he thinks Pres. George W. Bush went too far. “I’d like to think I would have said no to the Patriot Act,” he says, but as a governor he didn’t have to take a stand.
    I'd say that what he isn't saying is that he's pro amnesty and pro open borders. I like him in most other respects, but I absolutely don't like what he says above in his stance on illegals.
    damn...:(

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck58 View Post

Well, I like what he's saying about simplifying the visa process. Given that I deal with this to and from all over the world, I will be the first to say that the US has a seriously fucked-up visa process, even for ordinary tourists who want to go to Disneyworld for a week. Our whole immigration system is broken, and broken badly. The whole thing needs to be thrown out and we need to start over.

BUT, and this is a big BUT, we still have to "separate the wheat from the chaff" for the 12-20 million illegals who are here now. We can't just say "it's OK, low-level MS-13 member; you've been dealing crack to 10-year-olds on the street corner for five years, but we'll just make you a 'path to citizenship' and it's all OK then." We've had an open borders problem for so long that we're just going to have to find a way to separate these people out. And the best way to do that is from outside of our borders. You're a hard-working brick-layer who has never been in trouble with the law? Great! We just need you to go back and wait a few months in Guatemala until we can sort out the criminal element (and the terrorist element) amongst us, and then you can come right back and go right back to work being a productive, tax-paying member of our society.

If Johnson can manage to get on board with some sort of plan that will allow for sorting out the criminal and terrorist element of the illegals here, then I can get behind that. If not, then I'm at least going to shop around and see if anyone else has a better idea.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.