Thread: Linucks

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by malloc View Post
    For "uname -r" it said command not found?
    sudo lshw -C network
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    sudo lshw -C network
    Yeah, that utility may not be installed with the normal Fedora distro. I'm not really sure what software is installed by default with Fedora, and I know the Fedora install is customized in what can be installed.

If Fedora is working for you, I'd suggest you keep using it, and try to update Foresight within a chroot like I recommended earlier. I'm pretty sure the original Foresight install disks are sending out a 2.6.28 kernel, while the latest kernel you can update to is 2.6.30, which probably has a lot newer drivers than 2.6.28.

I'll hop on IRC (#conary on freenode) with the foresight guys, and try to figure out when Foresight is planning on releasing some new install CD's that contain their latest drivers.

Did the lspci command work and show you what kind of wifi card you had? That way I can see if their latest kernel has drivers for that card.

On Edit: I'll probably have to wait until Monday to talk to the foresight team, as tomorrow is Easter, nobody is likely to be in #conary.
    Last edited by malloc; 04-23-2011 at 11:23 PM.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Banned
    sudo lshw -C network
    Sorry about that. Didn't know that the command isn't installed in Foresight by default. Me I use Debian based systems. How to get it installed without the internet I don't know.

Anyway do like Malloc says run the 2 commands(lsusb and lsspci) I gave earlier.

Jerry

I'm putting Fedora back on it.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.

I'm actually putting the fedora back in side by side with the Foresight .

Fedora is back in but for some reason my format didn't work and I think i lost foresight. The wireless network is fine but no printer, scanner, fax, video players don't play much that was made in the past decade.
    On foresight I had printer fax and scanner plus HD video that worked with everything, but it was a helen Keller machine. There has to be a way to combine these.

Fedora is back in but for some reason my format didn't work and I think i lost foresight. The wireless network is fine but no printer, scanner, fax, video players don't play much that was made in the past decade.
    On foresight I had printer fax and scanner plus HD video that worked with everything, but it was a helen Keller machine. There has to be a way to combine these.

I'm no Fedora expert, so I'm not really sure why you don't have HD video or Scanning/Printing. What makes you think you don't have any scanning or printing capability? I mean, what have you tried and checked so far?

For HD Video, Fedora may not have included some codecs and/or drivers that are not "free" in the sense that the licenses required to distribute these software products may not be up to Fedora's liking.

Also, since you have the wireless card working, and are in Fedora now, please give me the output of the following commands so I can see why they aren't working in Foresight:

Code:
    sudo uname -r

sudo lsmod

sudo lspci

sudo lsusb
    From the output of these commands, hopefully I can identify your video card, and then identify which driver is required to run it.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."

I'm no Fedora expert, so I'm not really sure why you don't have HD video or Scanning/Printing. What makes you think you don't have any scanning or printing capability? I mean, what have you tried and checked so far?

For HD Video, Fedora may not have included some codecs and/or drivers that are not "free" in the sense that the licenses required to distribute these software products may not be up to Fedora's liking.

Also, since you have the wireless card working, and are in Fedora now, please give me the output of the following commands so I can see why they aren't working in Foresight:

Code:
    sudo uname -r

sudo lsmod

sudo lspci

sudo lsusb
    From the output of these commands, hopefully I can identify your video card, and then identify which driver is required to run it.
    It doesn't show a printer and only prints to file.
    When I get a chance I'll run those checks.
    I'm going to leave it as a Linux machine just to experiment. Thanks!

It doesn't show a printer and only prints to file.
    When I get a chance I'll run those checks.
    I'm going to leave it as a Linux machine just to experiment. Thanks!
    Ok, let me know when you get the output of those commands.

Also, to check for the printer make sure cupsd is running.

Code:
    ps -e | grep cupsd
    If there is not a cupsd process then start or install cups (cumulative unix printer services) if it's not installed. If there is a file /etc/init.d/cups or /etc/init.d/cupsd then cups is installed, but it's not setup to start automatically, if that file doesn't exist, then it's not installed.

To start cups if it is installed but not running do:
    Code:
    service cups start 
    # or service cupsd start if the file in /etc/init.d/ is named cupsd instead of cups
    # to make sure cups starts when you reboot
    chkconfig --levels 345 cups on  # or "cupsd" if the file in /etc/init.d/ is named cupsd.
    If cups isn't installed at all, then you'll need to install the right cups RPMs from Fedora's CD or something like that.

Ok, let me know when you get the output of those commands.

Also, to check for the printer make sure cupsd is running.

Code:
    ps -e | grep cupsd
    If there is not a cupsd process then start or install cups (cumulative unix printer services) if it's not installed. If there is a file /etc/init.d/cups or /etc/init.d/cupsd then cups is installed, but it's not setup to start automatically, if that file doesn't exist, then it's not installed.

To start cups if it is installed but not running do:
    Code:
    service cups start 
    # or service cupsd start if the file in /etc/init.d/ is named cupsd instead of cups
    # to make sure cups starts when you reboot
    chkconfig --levels 345 cups on  # or "cupsd" if the file in /etc/init.d/ is named cupsd.
    If cups isn't installed at all, then you'll need to install the right cups RPMs from Fedora's CD or something like that.
    [rockntractor@Helen ~]$ ps -e | grep cupsd
    1431 ? 00:00:00 cupsd
    [rockntractor@Helen ~]$
    that is the answer I got