Thread: Linucks

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    I think the important fact that is being overlooked in this thread is that Rock has been neglecting his manicurist.
    That there is Oklahoma crude oil under them nails!:D
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    yeah well you're gonna get used to that smooth free trollware and never look back
    Anyone interested in Linux should drop Ubunto, Gentoo, Fedora and checkout Foresight. I'm a (Linux) Systems Architect for the company I work for, so I do Linux all day, every day, from kernel to application frameworks.

Foresight is a distribution based on rPath Linux. rPath was founded by a bunch of guys who split off from Red Hat, including Cohen, the original designer/author of RPM. Foresight is unique in that it revolves around the next generation conary package manager instead of .deb, or RPM. The Conary package manager and rBuilder system is pretty bleeding edge when it comes to system management and automatic maintenance. rPath is now even offering Fedora, CentOS, RHEL & SUSE repackaged through it's Conary system, so the future of those distributions are probably going to move the conary model as well.

Conary is a highly automated system of building, storing, and installing software packages. It automatically resolves dependencies, and is much more specific than RPM's because each package is automatically broken up into components, so only needed components need to be installed. The technology is way too much to cover in a post, so if you are interested, look into it. Let's just say that as as a Linux administrator, I never thought I'd be able to upgrade an entire machine with one click, and know that it would "just work". For that matter, this time two years ago if you told me I could automatically re-provision a LAMP server into a database server by simply migrating the software that was installed on it from one group to another, I would have just laughed at it and called you crazy.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by malloc View Post
    Anyone interested in Linux should drop Ubunto, Gentoo, Fedora and checkout Foresight. I'm a (Linux) Systems Architect for the company I work for, so I do Linux all day, every day, from kernel to application frameworks.
    Okay, it is downloading, I have an empty partition I can put it on.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.

Foresight is a distribution based on rPath Linux. rPath was founded by a bunch of guys who split off from Red Hat, including Cohen, the original designer/author of RPM. Foresight is unique in that it revolves around the next generation conary package manager instead of .deb, or RPM. The Conary package manager and rBuilder system is pretty bleeding edge when it comes to system management and automatic maintenance. rPath is now even offering Fedora, CentOS, RHEL & SUSE repackaged through it's Conary system, so the future of those distributions are probably going to move the conary model as well.

Conary is a highly automated system of building, storing, and installing software packages. It automatically resolves dependencies, and is much more specific than RPM's because each package is automatically broken up into components, so only needed components need to be installed. The technology is way too much to cover in a post, so if you are interested, look into it. Let's just say that as as a Linux administrator, I never thought I'd be able to upgrade an entire machine with one click, and know that it would "just work". For that matter, this time two years ago if you told me I could automatically re-provision a LAMP server into a database server by simply migrating the software that was installed on it from one group to another, I would have just laughed at it and called you crazy.

By any chance do you have an English version of that post?
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    By any chance do you have an English version of that post?
    He's talking about Linux. It doesn't translate.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    He's talking about Linux. It doesn't translate.
    :D Linux is a foreign language to many that are into computers, let alone to the general public

It loaded fast but it won't let me use my wireless card, it says firmware missing, fedora didn't have trouble with that, what next?

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    It loaded fast but it won't let me use my wireless card, it says firmware missing, fedora didn't have trouble with that, what next?
    I've put this distro on a couple of netbooks and a few laptops and didn't have problems with the drivers. It all worked out of the box. If you can connect to the internet wired for a while, then install all the updates.

The CD's released by foresight are generally quite a bit behind what is latest on their release repositories. My first piece of advice would be to perform a full system update. If you can connect to the internet wired for a while, open a command prompt and run the following command.

sudo conary update all

That will kick off a massive update that should also update your kernel and all your drivers. Since this includes a kernel update, reboot to the new kernel once the update is run.

If that doesn't work, let me know what kind of wireless card it is, and I'll check with Foresight and see if they had any sort of extra driver packs that need to be installed.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."

Also, once you install Foresight and you get logged into your Gnome desktop, you can click System -> Foresight User Guide.

In the guide there are walk throughs for setting up non-free video drivers for NVidia, Intel and ATI (which aren't redistributable without agreeing to a seperate EULA, which is why they aren't shipped with the base distro). There's also guides for setting up Compiz and other features.

Foresight also ships with ndiswrappers, which is a program that lets you use windows wireless card drivers to power wireless cards that don't have native linux drivers. However, there isn't a guide for that in the User's guide, so if you know how to use ndiswrappers that might be an option for you as well.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    :D Linux is a foreign language to many that are into computers, let alone to the general public
    Actually the opposite is true... by far most people who use windows do not know what they are doing.

Me I use Linux... why? Because on my opinion it is a lot more flexible, especially once you do actually learn about computers...unlike the general public.

Jerry