Thread: Linucks

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    It loaded fast but it won't let me use my wireless card, it says firmware missing, fedora didn't have trouble with that, what next?
    You probably need what is called proprietary firmware.

What is the output of:

Code:
    lsusb
    and:

Code:
    lspci
    One of the two commands will tell you what wifi adaptor you have. Then you can go from there. BTW compat-wireless is the place to go for Linux wireless drivers.

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by malloc View Post
    I've put this distro on a couple of netbooks and a few laptops and didn't have problems with the drivers. It all worked out of the box. If you can connect to the internet wired for a while, then install all the updates.

The CD's released by foresight are generally quite a bit behind what is latest on their release repositories. My first piece of advice would be to perform a full system update. If you can connect to the internet wired for a while, open a command prompt and run the following command.

sudo conary update all

That will kick off a massive update that should also update your kernel and all your drivers. Since this includes a kernel update, reboot to the new kernel once the update is run.

If that doesn't work, let me know what kind of wireless card it is, and I'll check with Foresight and see if they had any sort of extra driver packs that need to be installed.
    It has a PCIe Dell network card, I tried a usb wireless N dongle on it but it is unaware that it exists.
    It is Helen Keller without internet. My router is wireless only, I haven't used wired Ethernet for several years.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Is there any way it can pull it off the fedora disk, their driver worked with it?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Banned
    Is there any way it can pull it off the fedora disk, their driver worked with it?
    Plug in your USB wifi dongle and type this in a terminal:

Code:
    sudo lshw -C network
    Another command to tell you what network devices you have.

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by jawilljr View Post
    Plug in your USB wifi dongle and type this in a terminal:

Code:
    sudo lshw -C network
    Another command to tell you what network devices you have.

Jerry
    Do I do this with the fedora disk mounted?

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jawilljr View Post
    Actually the opposite is true... by far most people who use windows do not know what they are doing.

Me I use Linux... why? Because on my opinion it is a lot more flexible, especially once you do actually learn about computers...unlike the general public.

Jerry
    bah, I wasn't talking about the typical noob, there are a lot of Computer people that wont deal with linux for the reason it's a pain in the ass to learn and there are so many distro's out there. I've used them, but don't particularly care for them.

too each their own :p at lest it's better than a mac :D

Banned
    Do I do this with the fedora disk mounted?
    No, all that command does is probe your hardware for network devices... just plug in your USB dongle and type that command in the terminal. It will ask for your password.

Here is my output when I type that command:

Code:
    jawilljr@jawilljr:~$ sudo lshw -C network
    [sudo] password for jawilljr: 
      *-network UNCLAIMED     
           description: Network controller
           product: PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN [Kedron] Network Connection
           vendor: Intel Corporation
           physical id: 0
           bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
           version: 61
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
           configuration: latency=0
           resources: memory:f6000000-f6001fff
      *-network
           description: Ethernet interface
           product: RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller
           vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
           physical id: 0
           bus info: pci@0000:06:00.0
           logical name: eth0
           version: 01
           serial: 00:1a:80:3d:64:1d
           size: 10MB/s
           capacity: 100MB/s
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm vpd msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list rom ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
           configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169 driverversion=2.3LK-NAPI duplex=half latency=0 link=no multicast=yes port=MII speed=10MB/s
           resources: irq:43 ioport:4000(size=256) memory:fa000000-fa000fff memory:f4000000-f401ffff
      *-network:0
           description: Wireless interface
           physical id: 1
           bus info: usb@2:1
           logical name: wlan0
           serial: 00:14:d1:e3:41:6e
           capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
           configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rt2800usb driverversion=2.6.35-28-generic firmware=0.12 ip=192.168.1.7 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11abgn
      *-network:1 DISABLED
           description: Ethernet interface
           physical id: 2
           logical name: vboxnet0
           serial: 0a:00:27:00:00:00
           capabilities: ethernet physical
           configuration: broadcast=yes multicast=yes
    As you can see I have two Disabled network devices... the Intel wireless I have blacklisted because I am testing a Ralink device, The vboxnet device is disabled because Virtualbox is not currently running.

Jerry

It has a PCIe Dell network card, I tried a usb wireless N dongle on it but it is unaware that it exists.
    It is Helen Keller without internet. My router is wireless only, I haven't used wired Ethernet for several years.
    That is going to make it tough, since the wireless driver probably exists within the upgraded kernel you would install by doing the updates.

If Fedora is running your wireless driver OK, and it's driver is a loadable module, the Foresight kernel would have to be the exact same version/build that the Fedora kernel is in order for the module to work properly, so that won't do.

If you want to try to update the foresight distribution through the fedora distribution you can try something like this.

Figure out which device you have foresight installed on first, you said you had an extra partition that you installed it on, so it will be one of /dev/sd* or /dev/hd*. You probably selected the partition to install it on when you ran through the foresight installer. Once you figure out what partition you installed foresight you have installed and mount it somewhere like /mnt/cdrom.

Code:
    mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/cdrom <-- If you installed foresight on /dev/sda3
    Then the do the following to update the Foresight distro through the Fedora distro..

Code:
    sudo su - # Or otherwise become root however you do that in your Fedora setup.
    chroot /mnt/cdrom
    mount -t proc proc /proc
    mount -t sysfs sysfs /sys
    conary update all
    This will mount the Foresight filesystem under the Fedora system, and then you'll set your root filesystem to the top directory of the Foresight filesystem. Then mount /sys and /proc, and start updating.

The lsusb and lspci commands that jawilljr specified will help to identify which driver should be installed, but without network access, it will be hard to figure out a way to get the driver installed without any network access.

Just for my information, with your Foresight distro booted, what is the output of
    Code:
    uname -r
    Combining that information with the chipset and revision of your wireless card from lscpi or lsusb, I'll be able to determine if the latest kernel that you would be updating to even contains a driver for that wireless card, or if the update would be a waste of time.

It's very possible that Fedora has an automated system of setting up an ndis card, which most distributions don't do for legal reasons. The drivers for a lot of these card that require ndis wrappers cannot be freely distributed because of licensing requirements.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Command not found

Command not found
    For "uname -r" it said command not found?
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense