Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    I agree, however you said that there was a more "Civilized" time of political debate and elections. My point was that there never has been and never will be.
    Well, I for one would have really enjoyed seeing Goldwater and Kennedy do the side by side, point by point barnstorming campaign they were talking about for 1964. The two were great friends even if they didn't see eye to eye politically. Now, politicians behave as though the opposition is not just someone they can't be friends with, but people who aren't even American.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Well, I for one would have really enjoyed seeing Goldwater and Kennedy do the side by side, point by point barnstorming campaign they were talking about for 1964. The two were great friends even if they didn't see eye to eye politically. Now, politicians behave as though the opposition is not just someone they can't be friends with, but people who aren't even American.
    That is the point.
    I was watching the 1960 Presidential debates, and something Nixon said of Kennedy during the debate jumped out at me. He said in essence they both want the American people to prosper, they both want security for the aged, they both want America to be strong abroad; they only differ in the means of going about it.

And yeah, I've read that both Kennedy and Goldwater were very much looking forward to the '64 debates. There was a mutual respect there across the aisle. Goldwater was a very kind hearted man in general, IMO.

I'm well aware of the 1800 elections, and the Grover Cleveland "Ma! Ma! Where's my Pa?" and all of that. I'm also aware that not everyone in public office has behaved that way. It doesn't excuse bad behavior, and it also drives the best people out of the political field -- who wants to be subjected to that sort of thing when they don't have to?
    You don't remember Reagan and Tip O'Neill going at it? They were like two wombats tied up in a gunny sack.

What most people didn't know at the time was that Reagan would have Tip over for drinks at the White House at the end of the day after they had been going at it like crazy, calling each other every name in the book.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

Power CUer
    I do remember Tip and Reagan, and that they did socialize together at the end of the day. They knew that they had to play the game during the day but they didn't let it poison them.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Banned
    I do remember Tip and Reagan, and that they did socialize together at the end of the day. They knew that they had to play the game during the day but they didn't let it poison them.
    Yeah...Our politics now is very much poisoned...and it's both sides fault. Our politicians on both sides are acting quite childish, which is sad. I'm a very liberally minded person, but I will submit that Reagan was a good man and a leader.