Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    I think you're missing the point. I'm sure both knew that children are a possible result of having sex. However, it does reflect poorly upon the notion of abstinence as a solution.

Even taking into account that in Alaska the high school curriculum includes sex education, the Palin household, one would assume, strongly emphasizes abstinence, family values, etc. It's a fair question to ask, "if a philosophy of abstinence as strongly taught as presumably it was in the Palin household fails, is it a reasonable approach to solving the problem of teenage pregnancy?"
    Why not? In all but one case - when ever it has been practiced - Abstinence has been a 100% effective proof against teenage pregnancy. NOW - just because someone fails to practice it should we call it ineffective? Would you be saying the same thing if Sarah had preached condoms and they had failed to use a condom? Just because kids are going to make less than perfect choices does not mean you stop telling them the very best way to do things.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

At least during the day (and I assume also at night) during the Democratic Convention CNN had Republican strategists doing commentary as well.
    Yes - republican STRATEGISTS not slime ridden attack dogs. Larry king and Jesse Ventura, DL Hewgley, and some chick and called that a panel to comment on the day!
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Banned
    100% abstinence is 100% effective 100% of the time. This is irrefutable. No one practicing abstinence (except for the Virgin Mary) 100% of the time has ever gotten pregnant.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    Why not? In all but one case - when ever it has been practiced - Abstinence has been a 100% effective proof against teenage pregnancy. NOW - just because someone fails to practice it should we call it ineffective? Would you be saying the same thing if Sarah had preached condoms and they had failed to use a condom? Just because kids are going to make less than perfect choices does not mean you stop telling them the very best way to do things.
    Because preaching abstinence to teenagers is quite different than saying, "I wish you wouldn't have sex, but if you do, use the appropriate measures."

Shall we compare the effectiveness percentage of the two approaches: (1) don't have sex and birth control is evil or (2) don't have sex. bit if you do have sex, use birth control. I think if your objective is to reduce teenage pregnancy, then (2) is the clear winner. If your objective is to impose a moral standard, then your selection is (1), but don't complain when she gets knocked up.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    100% abstinence is 100% effective 100% of the time. This is irrefutable. No one practicing abstinence (except for the Virgin Mary) 100% of the time has ever gotten pregnant.
    That's nice. How's it work out in practice?

Patent Member
    That's nice. How's it work out in practice?
    Why the hell do they have to teach about condoms and birth control pills at school?

Schools should not be in the business of teaching our kids about morality. Let the parents figure that one out. If parents think that condoms and birth control pills are immoral, tell the kids that. If they think that they're acceptable, tell the kids that.

Either way, teaching morality (or a lack of morality) in school is inappropriate and forces parents to accept a certain view.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by biccat View Post
    Why the hell do they have to teach about condoms and birth control pills at school?

Schools should not be in the business of teaching our kids about morality. Let the parents figure that one out. If parents think that condoms and birth control pills are immoral, tell the kids that. If they think that they're acceptable, tell the kids that.

Either way, teaching morality (or a lack of morality) in school is inappropriate and forces parents to accept a certain view.
    Amusing. So you were one of the early proponents (or would have been had you been around) of removing Christian prayers from schools? Good for you. I completely agree.

However, teenage pregnancy and the use of (or lack thereof) birth control has very little to do with morality. It's much more of a practical matter. And, while the Palins may have the financial means to support their child's progeny, in general, society as a whole is stuck with supporting them. Sex education and the use of birth control has nothing to do with morality.

what they are not saying is the school she went to teaches sex education not abstinence

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by blueyonder View Post
    what they are not saying is the school she went to teaches sex education not abstinence
    Uh, everyone has said that, including me! And my God, all the lib'rl media has said that as well. So, what you're implying is that the sex education (just like Flip Wilson's devil) made her do it, despite all the virtuous teachings of abstinence from her family values mommy? Isn't it a more probable explanation that she was a horny little 17 year old to whom the preachings of her sanctimonious mother were a joke?
    Last edited by Cold Warrior; 09-03-2008 at 08:51 PM.

I think you're missing the point. I'm sure both knew that children are a possible result of having sex. However, it does reflect poorly upon the notion of abstinence as a solution.

Even taking into account that in Alaska the high school curriculum includes sex education, the Palin household, one would assume, strongly emphasizes abstinence, family values, etc. It's a fair question to ask, "if a philosophy of abstinence as strongly taught as presumably it was in the Palin household fails, is it a reasonable approach to solving the problem of teenage pregnancy?"
    I think I'm right on point. You steered this to Abstinance, I responded to "sex education."
    which used the pregnancy of Sarah Palin's daughter to score political points by relaying as fact the talking points on sex education from a left-wing group. A defensive Wolf Blitzer kept saying “hold on” as he tried to justify raising the supposed hypocrisy.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand