Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Mitch Daniels sounds fiscal alarm, but Indiana Republican hesitant to run in 2012 
    Mitch Daniels sounds fiscal alarm, but Indiana Republican hesitant to run in 2012

No prospective Republican presidential candidate has done more to highlight the issue of debt and deficits than Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels. He calls it the “new red menace,” an ocean of red ink that he says is every bit as dangerous as the Soviet nuclear threat during the Cold War.

His call to arms gives him a provocative though politically risky platform for a potential 2012 presidential candidacy. Daniels thinks dealing with the debt problem will require a potentially dramatic restructuring of Medicare for future recipients, revamping Medicaid to slow its spending, and altering Social Security for today’s younger workers by raising the retirement age and recalculating the cost-of-living formula.

What Daniels has long been advocating dovetails with the budget blueprint recently unveiled by House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan (R-Wis.). His entry into the race could ensure that a debate between President Obama and Ryan becomes a central issue of the 2012 campaign. More than any other potential candidate, Daniels would test whether voters are ready for the kind of stiff medicine he prescribes.

But Daniels also would challenge his own party, with a message that calls for focusing on fiscal issues over social ones, for appealing seriously to voters who are not part of the conservative coalition and for being prepared to compromise with Democrats to solve the debt problem.

As he put it in a speech this year: “Should the best way be blocked . . . then someone will need to find the second-best way. Or the third, because the nation’s survival requires it. Purity in martyrdom is for suicide bombers.”

This guy doesn't stand a chance of getting the nomination in 2012. He is way to rational to get by the so-called Tea Party and this is their year.

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    This guy doesn't stand a chance of getting the nomination in 2012. He is way to rational to get by the so-called Tea Party and this is their year.

As a social and fiscal conservative, I would fully support him him if he is the nominee and I suspect that every Tea Party person I know would be too if only to stop the fiscal trainwreck Obama has put us on.

That's really quite a statement! Is every liberal this ill-informed or are you just unique? It's not the Tea Party I see standing in the way of candidates who are fiscally sane, or have ideas about the debt. It's the religious right I see standing in the way of these candidates. I can see the religious right abandoning candidates with good fiscal positions for the sake of their stance on gay marriage, abortion, drugs, etc, while embracing candidates big on the social agenda with little care for fiscal sanity.
    Last edited by malloc; 04-25-2011 at 09:08 PM.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by MountainMan View Post

As a social and fiscal conservative, I would fully support him him if he is the nominee and I suspect that every Tea Party person I know would be too if only to stop the fiscal trainwreck Obama has put us on.
    QFT
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    I support Daniels, have for a while.

Mark Levin has a problem with him, Rush didn't like his pussy footing around the social issue, but I know why Daniels made the comments, so I don't care.

Most people are back and forth on him, but they would back him before Trump.

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by malloc View Post
    That's really quite a statement! Is every liberal this ill-informed or are you just unique? It's not the Tea Party I see standing in the way of candidates who are fiscally sane, or have ideas about the debt. It's the religious right I see standing in the way of these candidates. I can see the religious right abandoning candidates with good fiscal positions for the sake of their stance on gay marriage, abortion, drugs, etc, while embracing candidates big on the social agenda with little care for fiscal sanity.
    I consider myself both a Tea Party member AND a member of the Religious right and I have NO ISSUE with Daniels whatsoever.

It is only the kook fringe like Mikey who have a real problem with Daniels. Levin (I am pretty sure) agrees with Daniel's positions, but disagrees on whether or not forcefully making an issue on the social policies is a good move politically.

Daniels would vote right, he just doesn't think the social issues are a good platform to run on and attract independents.
    Last edited by Constitutionally Speaking; 04-25-2011 at 10:08 PM.
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.

Yeah... :D But for looks, I'd go for Paul Ryan. . . it's the Reagan hair.

~QC
    "The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is hard business. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." Rudyard Kipling - (1865-1936)

Context doesn't matter to this liberal it seems/ as long as it satisfies his godless dreams/ like monkeys throwing sh!t as castles in air/ as long as he throws/that is the extent of his care.

Power CUer
    I would hope it goes without saying that we'd support Daniels before Trump; Trump is a circus sideshow, not a candidate. And now ol'Haley's taken himself out of the running.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

You aren't a member of the so-called Tea Party, M10M. I would expect you to support him and be surprised if you didn't.

And I am not talking about the general election (which I believe he could win) but the Republican Party nomination.

You aren't a member of the so-called Tea Party, M10M. I would expect you to support him and be surprised if you didn't.

And I am not talking about the general election (which I believe he could win) but the Republican Party nomination.
    The "so-called Tea Party" in your head, doesn't exist.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.