Thread: Homosexuality being glorified

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Homosexuality being glorified 
    Banned
    From a May 13, 1971, conversation among President Richard Nixon, John D. Ehrlichman, and H. R. Haldeman. On October 5, 1999, the National Archives made available to the public 445 hours of previously unreleased Oval Office tapes. It's pretty relevant today.

NIXON: ... CBS ... glorifying homosexuality.

EHRLICHMAN: A panel show?

H. R. HALDEMAN: No, it's a regular show. It's on every week. It's usually just done in the guy's home. It's usually just that guy, who's a hard hat.

NIXON: That's right; he's a hard hat.

EHRLICHMAN: He always looks like a slob.

NIXON: Looks like Jackie Gleason.

HALDEMAN: He has this hippie son-in-law, and usually the general trend is to downgrade him and upgrade the son-in-law--make the square hard hat out to be bad. But a few weeks ago, they had one in which the guy, the son-in-law, wrote a letter to you, President Nixon, to raise hell about something. And the guy said, "You will not write that letter from my home!" Then said, "I'm going to write President Nixon," took off all those sloppy clothes, shaved, and went to his desk and got ready to write his letter to President Nixon. And apparently it was a good episode.

EHRLICHMAN: What's it called?

NIXON: "Archie's Guys." Archie is sitting here with his hippie son-in-law, married to the screwball daughter. The son-in-law apparently goes both ways. This guy. He's obviously queer--wears an ascot--but not offensively so. Very clever. Uses nice language. Shows pictures of his parents. And so Arch goes down to the bar. Sees his best friend, who used to play professional football. Virile, strong, this and that. Then the fairy comes into the bar.

I don't mind the homosexuality. I understand it. Nevertheless, goddamn, I don't think you glorify it on public television, homosexuality, any more than you glorify whores. Now we all know people go to whores, we all know we have weaknesses. But, goddammit, what do you think that does to kids?

EHRLICHMAN: Yeah.

NIXON: What do you think that does to 11 and 12 year old boys when they see that? Why is the Scouts, the, why is it the Boy Clubs, we were there, we constantly had to clean the staffs to keep the goddamned fags out of it. Because, not of because of them, they can go out and do anything they please. But what about all those kids? You know, there's a little tendency among them all. Well, by God, I tell you, it outraged me. Not for any moral reason. Most people are outraged for moral reasons, why, it outrages me because I don't want to see this country go that way.

EHRLICHMAN: You know there are....

Nixon: You ever see, you know what happened to the Greeks? Homosexuality destroyed them. Sure, Aristotle was a homo. We all know that. So was Socrates.

EHRLICHMAN: But he never had the influence television had.

NIXON:You know what happened to the Romans? The last six Roman emperors were fags. The last six. Nero had a public wedding to a boy. You know what happened with the popes? The popes were layin' the nuns; that's been goin' on for years. But when the popes from the Catholic Church went to hell, I don't know, three or four centuries ago, it was homosexual. And finally they had to be cleaned out. That's what's happened to Britain. It happened earlier to France.

Let's look at the strong societies. The Russians. Goddamn, they root 'em out. They don't let 'em around at all. I don't know what they do with them. Look at this country. You think the Russians allow dope? Hell no. Not if they can catch it, they send them up. Homosexuality, dope, immorality, are the enemies of strong societies. That's why the Communists and left-wingers pushing this stuff: They're trying to destroy us. I know Moynihan will disagree with this, [Attorney General John] Mitchell will, and Garment will. But, goddamn, we have to stand up to this.

EHRLICHMAN: It's fatal liberality.

NIXON: Huh?

EHRLICHMAN: It's fatal liberality. And with its use on television, it has such leverage associated with it, you know. And the kids believe everything the box says, everything. Television makes it look respectable. Of course, there's a big program of that now, that we should be--that homosexuality should be respectable, because, you know, it's just a state.

NIXON: You know what's happened in northern California?

EHRLICHMAN: San Francisco has just gone clear over.

NIXON: But it's not just the ratty part of town. The upper class in San Francisco is that way. The Bohemian Grove, which I attend from time to time--it is the most faggy goddamned thing you could ever imagine, with that San Francisco crowd. I can't shake hands with anybody from San Francisco.

Decorators. They got to do something. But we don't have to glorify it. You know one of the reasons fashions have made women look so terrible is because the goddamned designers hate women. Designers taking it out on the women. Now they're trying to get some more sexy things coming on again.
    Last edited by CaughtintheMiddle1990; 04-25-2011 at 11:35 PM. Reason: .

The Bohemian Grove comments are hilarious.

Got a link for this CITM?
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Virginia, birthplace of Presidents, mostly good ones.
    I'd like to see a link myself.

Banned
    I wonder how many people here today still actually think homosexuality caused and/or contributed to the fall of Rome?

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    I wonder how many people here today still actually think homosexuality caused and/or contributed to the fall of Rome?
    while not a cause, it did contribute in a small way, as many of the Emperors from Nero on became more and more hedonistic and cared less and less about the health of the Empire and more and more about their own gratification and holding on to power.

Power CUer
    I was trying to figure out what TV show he was talking about. It sounded like "All in the Family" in some ways, but not in others.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

What's supposed to happen? A normal heterosexual guy in going to turn gay watching the stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by pyackog View Post
    What's supposed to happen? A normal heterosexual guy in going to turn gay watching the stuff?
    That's what I hear.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    while not a cause, it did contribute in a small way, as many of the Emperors from Nero on became more and more hedonistic and cared less and less about the health of the Empire and more and more about their own gratification and holding on to power.
    Not really... homosexuality was probably neither here nor there. Hell, for all you know, homosexuality caused emperors and statesmen to be more sexually satiated and/or acted as a mitigating factor against the coming social unrest, and actually slowed Rome's demise.

The attitude that it was some sort of enabler of the fall of Rome is just taking extreme liberties with history, to make Christian morals and ethics seem more favorable.