Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    Great photos everyone. I spent some time talking to my great uncle this weekend, who is a WWII vet and was at the Battle of the Bulge and DDay +2. Pretty fascinating stories that he had to tell. I was able to find his ship's manifest when he came back home from the war. I had no idea that he had received a Bronze Star. I've already put in my request to take possession of that when he dies.
    What ship did he come home on?
    My grandpa was also in the Battle of the Bulge and most of the Rhineland and Northern France campaign until his wounding in January 1945. He was in the 11th Infantry, 3rd Army. Earlier, he was stationed in Panama and may have done some work with the Army Air Corps earlier in the war as he has an Army Air medal with V Device.

Quote Originally Posted by CaughtintheMiddle1990 View Post
    What ship did he come home on?
    My grandpa was also in the Battle of the Bulge and most of the Rhineland and Northern France campaign until his wounding in January 1945. He was in the 11th Infantry, 3rd Army. Earlier, he was stationed in Panama and may have done some work with the Army Air Corps earlier in the war as he has an Army Air medal with V Device.
    He came home on the Queen Mary, which apparently was a regular ship, not a U.S. military ship. He now goes on about 4 cruises a year, I guess that's where he got his taste for cruising! :)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    He came home on the Queen Mary, which apparently was a regular ship, not a U.S. military ship. He now goes on about 4 cruises a year, I guess that's where he got his taste for cruising! :)
    Oh, my grandp came home on the Queen Elizabeth...He was on there with a bunch of other wounded. I wish I could find someone who served with the man, it'd be interesting if they could remember anything. See, in the 1973 fire, most of my grandpa's combat records were destroyed. We know what medals we got, for example, but the papers detailing when or why he received them, were destroyed in the fire. And since he's deceased and he never told my grandma much, there's no real way of knowing. We have like 60 pages of his medical record--from '45 to '46 when he was in the hospital after being shot--but I think they were saved because they were on loan to another agency (He had had a stroke a few months before the records fire and thus his medical history was probably needed).