1. #1 More college 'hookups,' but more virgins, too 
    More college 'hookups,' but more virgins, too
    By Sharon Jayson, USA TODAY

Updated 03/30/2011 8:15 PM

By Gary Fandel, for USA TODAY

Kirsten Ellermann and Ryan Fitz attend Iowa State university and have been dating for over a year. Ellermann says hooking up is very common among those who are single and not in a relationship.

"You just don't date at colleges," says Adams, 23, now a Fordham graduate student in urban studies.

But there's no shortage of casual sex on campus, she says — in part because Fordham, like many colleges, has significantly more women than men. Adams says that means guys have the upper hand when it comes to intimacy.

"It's kind of like a competition," she says. "The guys have their choice of whoever they want. So they think, 'Why would I date?' "

The relationship game among college-age adults today is a muddle of seemingly contradictory trends. Recent studies indicate that traditional dating on campuses has taken a back seat to no-strings relationships in which bonds between young men and women are increasingly brief and sexual. (A new website to arrange these encounters that began at the University of Chicago last month now is expanding to other campuses.)

But even as casual sex — often called "hookups" or "friends with benefits" — is a dominant part of campus life, a new report by the National Center for Health Statistics indicates the percentages of men and women 18-24 who say they are virgins also are increasing.

It all reflects an emerging paradigm that is altering the nature of sex and relationships among young adults: fewer men than women on campuses; a more openly sexual society that often takes cues from media, and a declining desire to make relationship commitments early in life.

Adams' experience is the reality for many of today's college students, says Mark Regnerus, an associate professor of sociology at the University of Texas-Austin.

His research suggests that the higher proportion of women on campuses has contributed to the ascent of the hookup culture. Overall, women made up more than 56% of the college population in 2009, according to the recent Census data on enrollments; more women are found on many campuses that serve both sexes.

"The women wind up competing with each other for access to the men, and often, that means relationships become sexual quicker," says Regnerus, co-author of Premarital Sex in America: How Young Americans Meet, Mate, and Think About Marrying, released earlier this year. It is based on an analysis of four national studies representing a total of 25,000 young people ages 18-23 and more than 200 additional interviews.
    Read the whole thing - it's fascinating!

USA Today

Banned
    This girl I know always went out with boys, never expressed any interest in anything outside of a straight relationship, went to a college which has the reputation of being very gay, and now has been in a relationship with a girl for a year, and says she's ''married'' to her. Never did she even LIKE or have a crush on a girl before she went to college.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CaughtintheMiddle1990 View Post
    This girl I know always went out with boys, never expressed any interest in anything outside of a straight relationship, went to a college which has the reputation of being very gay, and now has been in a relationship with a girl for a year, and says she's ''married'' to her. Never did she even LIKE or have a crush on a girl before she went to college.
    that you knew about.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    that you knew about.
    I've had discussions with her on the topic, and she is adamant in claiming she never liked any chick before college. I knew her before she went to college and she was dating a male classmate of mine; After he broke up with her--And she was devastated that he did--I waited a while and unsuccessfully tried to pursue her.

I've had discussions with her on the topic, and she is adamant in claiming she never liked any chick before college. I knew her before she went to college and she was dating a male classmate of mine; After he broke up with her--And she was devastated that he did--I waited a while and unsuccessfully tried to pursue her.
    Shouldn't have waited.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Shouldn't have waited.
    Probably for the best. She would've went off to college, met this chick and discovered she liked women a bit more than men, and I'd have looked like a damn fool for it.

Probably for the best. She would've went off to college, met this chick and discovered she liked women a bit more than men, and I'd have looked like a damn fool for it.
    If you want another shot, just wait until after graduation. An amazing number of GUGs (gay until graduation) revert to heterosexuality shortly after graduation, the first job, and the first fist fight. A lot of girls get into this kind of relationship to both avoid the hook-up scene and to have a steady partner in college who isn't barfing drunk or a complete slob. ;)

My brother's first wife married him right after she graduated from college. They went to the same school for graduate study, and she decided she was gay. She wanted to stay married (so her parents wouldn't
    suspect), but he told her no, he wanted kids and the whole married life thing.