1. #1 Wild and Free, But Is Roadkill Safe to Eat? 
    Wild and Free, But Is Roadkill Safe to Eat?
    by Amy Halloran | Apr 18, 2011

"Well, I'm the king of roadkill," laughed Paul Opel, a music instructor at Green Mountain College in Vermont. "I don't hunt at all but I love wild food so I'm always really happy to get it."

Opel has been discovering this kind of road food for over 30 years. The habit began when he was in his twenties and a pheasant collided with his car.

"Here's this completely fresh, healthy bird," he recalls thinking at the time, "and if it stays here it's just going to rot, and if it comes home with me it will be dinner."

Preparing that pheasant was the first time he'd ever dressed a bird. Over time, he's developed his own rules for taking roadkill. Winter, he thinks, is a good season because the animal is immediately refrigerated. During the summer he is warier of what he might take. Because he's not doing it for subsistence, he's liberal about what he rejects.

The practice of eating roadkill is part of a waste-not, want-not philosophy that drives other people, some of them previously vegans, to scavenge meat in a fashion that is almost sanctioned by PETA, which says on the subject:

"If people must eat animal carcasses, roadkill is a superior option to the neatly shrink-wrapped plastic packages of meat in the supermarket."

People who eat roadkill might be hunters who know their way around a dead animal, or people who call themselves freegans, and are used to eating from unregulated sources, like Dumpsters. Some practitioners have written how-to guides, such as the zine quoted in Sandor Ellix Katz's book about America's underground food movements, "The Revolution Will Not Be Microwaved."

State by state rules vary on the legality of taking home roadkill. In many states, one can actually get on the local game warden's list and wait for a call.
    Food Safety News

If I hit the damn thing myself, I'd probably eat it.

Something like a free fresh deer? I couldn't turn it down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    If I hit the damn thing myself, I'd probably eat it.

Something like a free fresh deer? I couldn't turn it down.
    You would have a devil of a time getting the hair out from between your teeth.
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

If you started aiming for animals with your vehicle for this, would you then have to get a hunting license, deal with limits, etc.?

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar

Being from Wyoming, I will admit that hitting an antelope (Pronghorn) is a fact of doing business in some parts. They are too fragile to seriously destroy a regular truck (as Elk out here do) so we did pick a few up over the years.

Pronghorn are not particularly good eating. The meat-to-bone ratio sucks and they are very, very lean and chewy. However, you can make them "okay" in a slow-cooker. They do make good jerky with some soaking and spices. :)

When I was a wee young lad my family drove around a crash scene marked with ambulances and police cars and jumble of body parts. Apparently, a motorcyclist had hit a deer up around Cloudcroft, New Mexico. Neither looked viable for consumption.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    óThomas Paine, Common Sense