Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Yeah, we had snappers all over in michigan. I saw some as big as semi tires. Did not want to mess with those.
    Yeah, I nearly hit one crossing the road the other day - not quite as big as a semi tire, but close.
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Yeah, we had snappers all over in michigan. I saw some as big as semi tires. Did not want to mess with those.

We get them around Detroit, even, in the burbs near rivers. I think the ones in the Rouge River have got to be mutants by now, at least the ones who live downriver of the Ford plant, or near all the refineries by Zug Island.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    We get them around Detroit, even, in the burbs near rivers. I think the ones in the Rouge River have got to be mutants by now, at least the ones who live downriver of the Ford plant, or near all the refineries by Zug Island.
    That got me to thinking about just how old the species might be. They go back to the Miocene era, which was about 23 million years ago. That puts them in the same category, I think, as alligators and roaches. If Ford and the refineries managed to mutate the snapping turtle, they have got some powerful stuff!:)