Thread: Reloading: .223 & Remington 7 1/2 Primers

1. #1 Reloading: .223 & Remington 7 1/2 Primers 
    Recently I was forced to make a switch from Winchester Small Rifle primers to Remington primers due to the great primer shortage that happened a little while ago. Now I have a bunch of Remington 7 1/2 "bench rest" small rifle primers sitting on my reloading bench that I haven't used because that was all I could get my hands on at the time.

The problem I'm having is that about 10% of the loads, the primers pop out of the primer pocket. Normally, I would take this as a sign of pressure and back off on the powder throw. However, doing research on the internet I'm getting conflicting advice. Remington seems to think that 7 1/2 primers are designed for .223 high pressure loads, and many of the loads in my Lyman handbook are done with Remington 7 1/2 primers.

So basically what it comes down to is that I'm loading 62 grain surplus bullets, Remington 7 1/2 primers, in once fired cases, with max loads of AA2230 or Varget (I've tried both) out of a rob arms XCR, and I'm having primers pop out of the primer pocket. All the while, everything I'm reading in my handbook and on the internet is telling me that this is the right recipe for .223 w/ Remington 7 1/2 primers!

Also, when I worked up the load, I went from no signs of pressure to primers popping out of the pocket with no in-between, at fairly low pressures.

As I've said, I've asked around about this, and I'm just trying to put as much data on the problem together as possible. Do any of you guys have any experience with 7 1/2 primers and .223?
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Were they military cases?

rm -rf obama*

Quote Originally Posted by BadCat View Post
    Were they military cases?
    My first thought was no, because most of these cases are from Remington UMC. However, I also bought and fired some Black Hills ammo. I'm not sure what kind of brass they use.

On Edit: I guess I'll be going through my brass looking for crimped pockets. I would think that would prevent the brass from being primed correctly, but that isn't always the case apparently.
    Last edited by malloc; 04-26-2011 at 08:47 PM.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense