Thread: Jerry Reed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Jerry Reed 
    Power CUer
    The Nashville Tennesseean reports that Jerry Reed has died. I am not a country fan, but I did see him in a few movies. I saw this and thought I would pass it along here:

“For 50 years, all I’d done was take, take, take,” he told The Tennessean’s Tim Ghianni in 2007. “I decided from now on it is going to be giving. And I’m way behind. We’re all way behind. We live this life like what’s down here is what it’s all about. We’re temporary, son, like a wisp of smoke.”

Singer-actor Jerry Reed dies at the age of 71
    September 2, 2008 - 1:43pm

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - Jerry Reed, a singer who appeared in the "Smokey and the Bandit" movies, has died of complications from emphysema at age 71, his longtime booking agent said Tuesday.

Carrie Moore-Reed, who is no relation to the star, said Reed died early Monday morning.

Reed was a gifted guitarist who later became a songwriter, singer and actor.

As a singer in the 1970s and early 1980s, he had a string of hits that included "Amos Moses," "When You're Hot, You're Hot," "East Bound and Down," and "The Bird."

In the mid-1970s, he began acting in movies such as "Smokey and the Bandit" with Burt Reynolds, "Gator" "Hot Stuff" and "High-Ballin'."
    I probably never would have thought of him again but I did see Smokey and the Bandit.

Damn...RIP, dude...I was never a follower of his music but as a kid, I loved the Smokey and the Bandit movies.
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

Quote Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
    Damn...RIP, dude...I was never a follower of his music but as a kid, I loved the Smokey and the Bandit movies.
    I always loved the Scooby Doo episode he was in.
    OPEACHMENT NOW!!!

Stinger:
    "I was... ordered to drop my pants, bend over and spread my cheeks."
    --RagingInMiami achieving the DUmp's highest level of nirvana

Isolated Mountain Range in Eastern Nevada
    A few years ago, Waylon, Bobby Bare, Mel Tillis and Jerry Reed did an album of songs written by Shel Silverstein
    titled "Old Dogs" I highly recommend it..hilarious songs and one very tender song at the end called "Time" the entire album was about getting older and facing death...Jerry did a helluva job on his collaborative effort on that album. From what I have gathered from his interviews and articles he was a very intelligent introspective man who was known for his humor. I love the line from his song "She got the goldmine, I got the shaft"..in which he tells the divorce court judge "might as well take my billfold too, I don't need it, will only be carrying foodstamps now"....
    RIP Jerry
    I smile because I don't know what the heck is going on.

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Smokey and the Bandit Baby.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNsUAAV-t9s
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
    almost posted that. nice....
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    almost posted that. nice....
    Thanks. Jerry Reed holds a special place in my life. Back when I was in the Navy on my first deployment overseas, The ship I was on (USS Halsey CG-23) was on station in the Indian Ocean during the Iranian Hostage Crisis. We were doing our last underway replenishment (UnRep) prior to starting the long trip back to the states. As we broke away from the tanker that refueled us, East Bound and Down started up from the ships loudspeaker system at max volume. Since that day, that song has always represented to me the beggining of the end to a long journey.

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    What was the name of his dog in the Bandit movies?

RIP, Jerry.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III