Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KhrushchevsShoe View Post
    They basically inherited the company... I fail to see what they themselves created that justifies their constant bitching.
    Right... because taking a "medium sized oil company" and making it grow into the largest privately owned company in the US is doing nothing.

They inherited a small company, and turned it into a 100 billion dollar machine. They earned their money.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

They basically inherited the company... I fail to see what they themselves created that justifies their constant bitching.
    There's inheriting a company and letting it sit, but they took a basic domestic oil refining firm...expanded the fuck out of it , taking it global and branching out into consultancy, venture capital,paper(how I first knew them), finance, and a chunk of DuPont. I think I forgot some other stuff too. :p

If all you see is "they inherited the company" . . . please get your vision checked.

(damn you jonsey, you beat me to it.)

~QC
    "The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is hard business. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." Rudyard Kipling - (1865-1936)

Context doesn't matter to this liberal it seems/ as long as it satisfies his godless dreams/ like monkeys throwing sh!t as castles in air/ as long as he throws/that is the extent of his care.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Horse shit..they earned it.

Fred C. Koch, for whom Koch Industries, Inc. is named, co-founded the company in 1940 and developed an innovative crude oil refining process. His sons, Charles G. Koch, chairman of the board and chief executive officer, and David H. Koch, executive vice president, are principal owners of the company after they bought out their brothers, Frederick and William, for $1.1 billion in 1983... Charles and David H. Koch each own 42% of Koch Industries, and Charles has stated that the company will publicly offer shares "literally over my dead body".

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Right... because taking a "medium sized oil company" and making it grow into the largest privately owned company in the US is doing nothing.

They inherited a small company, and turned it into a 100 billion dollar machine. They earned their money.
    First, it wasn't small.

Second, where would they have been without that inheritance? Hm? They were born into the opportunity they were given, so dont expect them to understand how people who aren't as lucky cant be like them.

Banned
    First, it wasn't small.

Second, where would they have been without that inheritance? Hm? They were born into the opportunity they were given, so dont expect them to understand how people who aren't as lucky cant be like them.
    If we turn the clock back to 1890, everybody can do whatever they want. The last time this country was great was a hundred years before I was born. Since 1890 it's been a horrible, COMMUNIST dictatorship! Roll back to 1890! The 20t century was a big lie! A big lie!

I'm sure if the Koch brothers were born into a working class family in an inner city they would be eexactly where they are now.

afterall, bootstraps! lmao
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.

First, it wasn't small.

You think these guys couldn't have built a succesful company on their own? Just because they had a stepping stone did not mean they didn't have the skill and drive. That is what is there.

By the way your talking, your a proponent of no one getting a helping hand, and starting off from scratch. So... no government support for anyone then?
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Banned
    Quite the opposite dj, I dont like people who are born into wealth and have an ideology that is predicated on people not getting anywhere near the opportunity they lucked into.

It's not even about them being wealthy, it's about the disproportiate amount of power and influence these people have in this Plutocracy we call the United States.

It's the fact that such incredible wealth accumulation necessarily comes with mass exploitation.

It's the fact that the Koch brothers openly and feverishly engage in Class War by using their wealth to destroy policies that benefit the working class, because doing so increases their profit margins.

This shouldn't be made into something too personal, this isn't abou the Koch brothers being bad people, or having bad morals, or demonizing them in particular. As pointed out, they also contribute to good causes and I'm sure in their personal life they are kind and loving to the people close to them.

The problem is systemic, it's not that the Koch brothers are dong something wrong, it's that the system necessarily creates Koch brothers, who engage in political hijacking, who overwhelm the political system for the purpose of class war.

Capitalists do what they do not because they are bad people, but because that's what a capitalist must do.

While the Koch brothers are good poster-children for the image of the wealthy capitalist elites exploiting people and using their non-elected financial power to control the elected representatives in our political system, it's dangerous to make it too much about them.

If the left focuses too hard on the Koch brothers, it makes it out as if they are just bad people and maybe if we had nicer people (like liberals) then it would all be okay, but that is just not true. The problem isn[t the personal characteristics or opinions of this wealthy class, it's the very structurally necessary existence and activities of this wealthy class
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.

Quote Originally Posted by CaughtintheMiddle1990 View Post
    If we turn the clock back to 1890, everybody can do whatever they want. The last time this country was great was a hundred years before I was born. Since 1890 it's been a horrible, COMMUNIST dictatorship! Roll back to 1890! The 20t century was a big lie! A big lie!
    lolll :D