Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32

Hybrid View

  1. #1 Robert Welch in 1958 predicting Insiders plans to destroy America 
    CU's Tallest Midget! PoliCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    25,328
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Our widdle friend. Wei Wu Wei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,414
    lmao yase YASE the John Birch Society

    hmm, have you ever heard of Glenn Beck? I think you might like him lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    LTC Member Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FT Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    15,638
    Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    lmao yase YASE the John Birch Society

    hmm, have you ever heard of Glenn Beck? I think you might like him lol
    "Have you no decency?"
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

    Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,360
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    "Have you no decency?"
    That was JOSEPH Welch.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    LTC Member Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FT Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    15,638
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    That was JOSEPH Welch.
    I know. It was just a good segue.

    Wasn't Bob Welch with Fleetwood Mac? :D
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

    Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,800
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    Welch also believed Ike was a communist agent. I guess you agree with that too?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    CU's Tallest Midget! PoliCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    25,328
    How far wrong was he? Has not what he predicted come to pass?
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Our widdle friend. Wei Wu Wei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,414
    I will concede this:

    conservatives are correct that the welfare state cannot solve the problems and excesses of capitalism.

    the welfare state is a bandaid at best, a bandaid which creates many new problems on it's own, but there are many people bleeding out there who rely on that bandaid to survive.

    if we dismantal the welfare state, the excesses of capitalism will grow to the levels that exceed what they were a century ago.

    dismantaling the welfare state is an effective way to speed up the collapse of the Empire.

    unfortunately, increasing the welfare state will not solve the big problems our society has, just kick the can down the road a bit.


    unless we take an honest critical look at the capitalist mode of production itself, and stop pretending that it is a perfect system which is disturbed from without, and acknowledge that there are contradictions and antagonisms at the heart of the capitalist economy, then we are fucked.

    it seems all of the Cold War era propaganda will be our undoing. we tried so hard to convince the American people that PURE CAPITALISM IS THE LIGHT and anything that isn't pure capitalism is the devil - and we succeeded. that is such a naive, childish, frankly stupid picture useful only as a means to get people riled up about a war. Everyone believed it though, and because today in the post-Cold War era, no one is able to even critique capitalism, everyone acts perplexed as to why our problems can't be solved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Our widdle friend. Wei Wu Wei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,414
    there are two groups of people advocating dismanteling the welfare state.

    you have the wealthy people at the top who are steering the boat into dangerous waters and see that the boat is sinking, so their solution is to rush to the lifeboats, pop a few more holes in the hull of the ship, and abandon the damn thing and let all the stupid workers in the engine room drown to death.

    the other group is the stupid workers in the engine room who actually believe these wealthy people and actively help them along the way, drilling the holes in the hull and lugging the lifeboats out to the deck, only to be told there isn't any room left for them but if they keep obeying their masters they will get a shot because that's fair and that's how our perfect boat works
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    4,301
    Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    there are two groups of people advocating dismanteling the welfare state.

    you have the wealthy people at the top who are steering the boat into dangerous waters and see that the boat is sinking, so their solution is to rush to the lifeboats, pop a few more holes in the hull of the ship, and abandon the damn thing and let all the stupid workers in the engine room drown to death.

    the other group is the stupid workers in the engine room who actually believe these wealthy people and actively help them along the way, drilling the holes in the hull and lugging the lifeboats out to the deck, only to be told there isn't any room left for them but if they keep obeying their masters they will get a shot because that's fair and that's how our perfect boat works

    And yet someone like ME and millions of others, can start from sleeping in my car to keep it from being repossessed, to being a successful business owner who has time and money to help those who truly cannot help themselves.
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •