Hybrid View

1. #1 Calling animals 'pets' is insulting, academics claim 
    Calling animals 'pets' is insulting, academics claim

Animal lovers should stop calling their furry or feathered friends “pets” because the term is insulting, leading academics claim.

By John Bingham 8:30AM BST 28 Apr 2011

Domestic dogs, cats, hamsters or budgerigars should be rebranded as “companion animals” while owners should be known as “human carers”, they insist. Even terms such as wildlife are dismissed as insulting to the animals concerned – who should instead be known as “free-living”, the academics including an Oxford professor suggest.

The call comes from the editors of then Journal of Animal Ethics, a new academic publication devoted to the issue.

It is edited by the Revd Professor Andrew Linzey, a theologian and director of the Oxford Centre for Animal Ethics, who once received an honorary degree from the Archbishop of Canterbury for his work promoting the rights of “God’s sentient creatures”.

In its first editorial, the journal – jointly published by Prof Linzey’s centre and the University of Illinois in the US – condemns the use of terms such as ”critters” and “beasts”.

It argues that “derogatory” language about animals can affect the way that they are treated.

“Despite its prevalence, ‘pets’ is surely a derogatory term both of the animals concerned and their human carers,” the editorial claims.

“Again the word ‘owners’, whilst technically correct in law, harks back to a previous age when animals were regarded as just that: property, machines or things to use without moral constraint.”

It goes on: “We invite authors to use the words ‘free-living’, ‘free-ranging’ or ‘free-roaming’ rather than ‘wild animals’

“For most, ‘wildness’ is synonymous with uncivilised, unrestrained, barbarous existence.

“There is an obvious prejudgment here that should be avoided.”
    Telegraph

I can call "Dumb Shit" and my dog will come running happy as can be to see me.

Calling her "pet" is not insulting. What is, is this fucktard saying so.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    I can call "Dumb Shit" and my dog will come running happy as can be to see me.

Calling her "pet" is not insulting. What is, is this fucktard saying so.
    I've tried that with my cats, using the correct tone of voice, and it doesn't work...they seem to know.

They all lick each others' assholes though so I will not elevate them above being pets.

“For most, ‘wildness’ is synonymous with uncivilised, unrestrained, barbarous existence.
    Pretty clearly this dude has never watched bears interact with each other or with other animals.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Cats i can agree with, because they are not truly domesticated and will go feral quickly, well so can some other pets. Dogs can't as easily